These next 7 verses are once again making a very radical statement. God is literally telling us that the knowledge and wisdom that we can receive direct from Him is better and more valuable than all the silver, gold, and rubies of this world.
In other words, the knowledge and wisdom that you can receive direct from God is better than all the material wealth that this world can offer!
God then goes one step further in this first verse I will list below, and states that knowledge and wisdom is better than anything else you can possibly desire in this life!
Think about how radical and extreme this statement really is given the materialistic and money-hungry society we now live in.
Grab a hold of these 7 verses – especially the first two.
- “Happy is the man who finds wisdom, and the man who gains understanding; for her proceeds are better than the profits of silver, and her gain than fine gold.
She is more precious than rubies, and all the things you may desire cannot compare with her. Length of days is in her right hand, in her left hand riches and honor.
Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her, and happy are all who retain her.” (Proverbs 3:13)
- “How much better it is to get wisdom than gold! And to get understanding is to be chosen rather than silver.” (Proverbs 16:16)
- “There is gold and a multitude of rubies, but the lips of knowledge are a precious jewel.” (Proverbs 20:15)
- “… but the excellence of knowledge is that wisdom gives life to those who have it.” (Ecclesiastes 7:12)
- “Understanding is a wellspring of life to him who has it.” (Proverbs 16:22)
- “Through wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established; by knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches.” (Proverbs 24:3)
- “Wisdom strengthens the wise more than ten rulers of the city.” (Ecclesiastes 7:19)
Notice in the first verse God says that “happy” is the man who finds wisdom, and that having knowledge and wisdom will help lengthen the number of days that you might be able to live down here on this earth.
He then says that knowledge will also bring you peace and be a tree of life to you and your life.
This “tree of life” is what stimulates those who seek after knowledge. There is nothing more challenging, more rewarding, and more thrilling than seeking after the knowledge of God on a particular subject or issue you may really be interested in.
And to top all of this off – all of the knowledge and wisdom that you will be receiving from the Lord on the different parts of your life down here on this earth will all be going with you into the next life, which will be heaven.
However, not one ounce of all of the gold, rubies, silver, and wealth of this world will be going with you when you die and cross over. All of that earthly material wealth will rot and perish as far as you are concerned – because not one ounce, not one penny will be going with you to the other side!
This is why God is placing such an extremely high value on the pursuit of His knowledge and wisdom for us in this life. This is why God is telling us in the above verses that seeking after His knowledge and wisdom in this life will give you true life.
This is part 5 of our 19 part series on Seeking After The Knowledge of God.
1. An Introduction to the “Seek After The Knowledge of God”
2. Growing in the Knowledge of God
3. The Fear of the Lord is the Beginning of Receiving Knowledge and Wisdom
4. Destroyed For Lack Of Knowledge
5. Knowledge and Wisdom Are Better Than All the Material Things of This World
6. Knowledge, Understanding and Wisdom
7. All Knowledge and Wisdom Comes Direct From God
8. The Holy Spirit is our Helper, Teacher, and Guide
9. Seeking After the Knowledge of God
10. Knowledge and Wisdom Will Help Keep You Safe
11. In the Multitude of Counselors There is Safety
12. Use the Knowledge That God Will Give You
13. Walk With Other Wise Men
14. A Wise Man Will Not Show Partiality in Judgment
15. Stay Humble When God Does Start to Release His Knowledge to You
16. Knowledge Will Increase Sorrow and Grief
17. The Wisdom of This World is Foolishness With God
18. Dont Cease Listening to Instruction
19. The Story of King Solomon