There are only two downsides to having God start to release His knowledge to you. The first downside is that for some, the increase in their knowledge base will cause them to start to get to full of themselves.
In the verse I will list below, it says that knowledge can “puff up.” In other words, it can puff you up. Your ego starts to swell, and conceit and arrogance can start to set in.
You start to think your smarter than anyone else. You start looking down on those who do not have your higher levels of knowledge. Pretty soon, you start to present a haughty, arrogant, and know-it-all attitude to others, and as a result, you start to drive people away from God rather than to Him as a result of your bad attitudes and behaviors.
Once God really starts to release His knowledge to you, you really have to keep a sharp eye on this and make sure that all of this new found knowledge does not start go to your head.
You have to stay humble and thankful for it. It becomes very easy to start looking down on others who are not getting this higher level of knowledge. You start questioning their spiritual growth and why they are not getting what you are getting.
You have to realize that every one is operating at different levels of spiritual development in this life with the Lord. Some will go farther and progress at faster rates of speed in this realm than others will.
You cannot compare your level of spiritual development and how fast you are progressing with anyone else. Some people will not go as far as you might go in this realm – but others will leave you in the dust and progress to a much higher level than you ever will in this life.
You have to realize that God is working with each and every Christian at the level of spiritual development they are currently operating at with Him. Granted, some people look like they should be making more and better progress, but there may be some personal factors operating in their lives that may be slowing down their spiritual growth that you may not be aware of.
This is why God is telling us in His Word that we are not to judge one another in some of these areas.
Seek to produce as much good fruit for God as you can. But at the same time, do not ever compare your walk and your fruit in the Lord with anyone else’s.
Stay humble in your walk with the Lord, and do not let all the fruit and accomplishments that you might achieve in Him go to your head and puff you up.
Here are two very interesting Scripture verses telling us that knowledge can puff you up and that all men will only “know in part” in this life. In other words – no matter how smart and intelligent you think you may be getting, you will never have all of the answers to everything in this life.
This one fact alone should help keep you humble and real as you start to grow in the knowledge and wisdom of God for your life.
- “We know that we all have knowledge. KNOWLEDGE PUFFS UP, but love edifies.” (1 Corinthians 8:1)
- “For we KNOW IN PART and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away with … For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.” (1 Corinthians 13:9,12)
This is part 15 of our 19 part series on Seeking After The Knowledge of God.
1. An Introduction to the “Seek After The Knowledge of God”
2. Growing in the Knowledge of God
3. The Fear of the Lord is the Beginning of Receiving Knowledge and Wisdom
4. Destroyed For Lack Of Knowledge
5. Knowledge and Wisdom Are Better Than All the Material Things of This World
6. Knowledge, Understanding and Wisdom
7. All Knowledge and Wisdom Comes Direct From God
8. The Holy Spirit is our Helper, Teacher, and Guide
9. Seeking After the Knowledge of God
10. Knowledge and Wisdom Will Help Keep You Safe
11. In the Multitude of Counselors There is Safety
12. Use the Knowledge That God Will Give You
13. Walk With Other Wise Men
14. A Wise Man Will Not Show Partiality in Judgment
15. Stay Humble When God Does Start to Release His Knowledge to You
16. Knowledge Will Increase Sorrow and Grief
17. The Wisdom of This World is Foolishness With God
18. Dont Cease Listening to Instruction
19. The Story of King Solomon