I strongly believe there are sometimes psychological factors that will come into play when dealing with different types of sicknesses and illnesses.
If someone is severely depressed, there is a good chance that their immune system may not be working as well as it should be, and they thus can be more subject and prone to getting certain types of sicknesses or diseases as compared to someone who is always upbeat, happy, cheerful, and doing something positive with their lives.
The medical profession has already found this link – that sometimes good health can be directly related to having a good positive mindset. The Bible has several very interesting verses on this mind-body connection and how it can relate to our physical health. Here they are:
- “A sound heart is life to the body, but envy is rottenness to the bones.” (Proverbs 14:30)
- “Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when the desire comes, it is a tree of life.” (Proverbs 13:12)
- “A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance, but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.” (Proverbs 15:13)
- “A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones.” (Proverbs 17:22)
- “Anxiety in the heart of a man causes depression, but a good word makes it glad.” (Proverbs 12:25)
- “There is one who speaks like the piercings of a sword, but the tongue of the wise promotes health.” (Proverbs 12:18)
- “Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.” (Proverbs 16:24)
Notice the first verse says that “envy is rottenness to the bones.” This is why the Bible tells us that we are transformed by the “renewing of our minds.”
God wants to develop and put right thinking into our minds. Having a good positive mindset in the Lord may be one of the secrets in being able to have good physical health while we are living down here on this earth.
This is the last part of our 11 part series on healing verses of the Bible.Here are links to the other parts..