The Bible is very clear on this next doctrine and tenet. As we have showed you in our article titled, “The Reality of Hell,” over and over again the Bible tells us that there really is a hell and that it will be forever and ever for all of those who will be cast down into it.
Many in the liberal part of the Body are trying to do away with this doctrine, as their human minds cannot believe that God could possibly create such a horrible place of eternal torment and agony. As a result, some of them have fallen for a lie straight from the pit of hell called Universalism. This is a belief that no one goes to hell. They believe that every one will get to go straight to heaven once they die and cross over, no matter what they have ever done in this life, and whether or not they have ever made Jesus Christ their personal Lord and Savior.
In the above hard-hitting article, we give you all of the main verses from the Bible showing you that there really is a hell, along with giving you the appropriate explanations as to why God would create such a horrible place of torment and agony with how He has all of the big picture set up.
Once again, here are some of the main verses from our Bible showing us that not only is there really a hell down in the center of our earth, but that all of those who are thrown down in there will be down in there for all of eternity.
- “For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment …” (2 Peter 2:4)
- “If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.” (John 15:6)
- “But I will show you who you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!” (Luke 12:5)
- “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” (Matthew 10:28)
- “It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.” (Hebrews 10:31)
- “The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness, and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth. Then the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears to here, let him hear!” (Matthew 13:41-43)
- “So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come forth, separate the wicked from among the just, and cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 13:49-50)
- “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels …” (Matthew 25:41)
- “And if your hand makes you sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched – where ‘their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.’ (Mark 9:43-44)
- “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.” (Matthew 7:13)
- “I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.” (Luke 13:3)
- “His winnowing fan is His hand, and He will thoroughly purge His threshing floor, and gather the wheat into His barn; but the chaff He will burn with unquenchable fire.” (Luke 3:17)
- “And they shall go forth and look upon the corpses of the men who have transgressed against Me. For their worm does not die, and their fire is not quenched. They shall be an abhorrence to all flesh.” (Isaiah 66:24)
- “Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell?” (Matthew 23:33)
- “These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power …” (2 Thessalonians 1:9)
- “And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades (Hell) shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- “But he does not know that the dead are there, that her guests are in the depths of hell.” (Proverbs 9:18)
- “Let death seize them; let them go down alive into hell, for wickedness is in their dwellings and among them.” (Psalm 55:15)
- “Her house is the way to hell, descending to the chambers of death.” (Proverbs 7:27)
- “The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.” (Psalm 9:17)
- “… then I will bring you down with those who descend into the Pit, to the people of old, and I will make you dwell in the lowest part of the earth, in places desolate from antiquity, with those who go down to the Pit, so that you may never be inhabited; and I shall establish glory in the land of the living. ‘I will make you a terror, and you shall be no more; though you are sought for, you will never be found again,’ says the Lord God. (Ezekiel 26:20-21)
- “But if the Lord creates a new thing, and the earth opens its mouth and swallows them up with all that belongs to them, and they go down alive in to the pit, then you will understand that these men rejected the Lord. Then it came to pass, as he finished speaking all these words, that the ground split apart under them, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed them up … So they and all those with them went down alive in the pit; the earth closed over them, and they perished from among the congregation.” (Numbers 16:30-33)
- “For Sheol cannot thank You, death cannot praise You; Those who go down to the pit cannot hope for Your truth.” (Isaiah 38:18)
- “Her graves are set in the recesses of the Pit, and her company is all around her grave, all of them slain, fallen by the sword, who caused terror in the land of the living.” (Ezekiel 32:23)
- “… Deliver him from going down to the Pit … He will redeem his soul from going dow to the Pit, and his life shall see the light.” (Job 33:24,28)
- “Then the fifth angel sounded: And I saw a star fallen from heaven to the earth. And to him was given the key to the bottomless pit.” (Revelation 9:1)
- “But those who seek my life, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth.” (Psalm 63:9)
- “As for the head of those who surround me, let the evil of their lips cover them; let burning coals fall upon them; let them be cast into the fire, into deep pits, that they not rise up again.” (Psalm 140:9-10)
- “And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.” (Luke 3:9)
- “And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 25:30)
- “Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ (Matthew 22:13)
- “Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. And he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever, and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.” (Revelation 14:9-11)
- “There was a certain rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and fared sumptuously every day. But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate, desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table. Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. So it was the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. And being in torments in Hades (Hell), he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. Then he cried and said, “Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’ But Abraham said, “Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.’ Then he said, ‘I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house, for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.’ Abraham said to him, “They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.’ And he said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ But he said to them, ‘If they did not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.'” (Luke 16:19-31)
- “But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” (Revelation 21:8)
- “… as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.” (Jude 7)
- “Surely You set them in slippery places; You cast them down to destruction. Oh, how they are brought to desolation, as in a moment! They are utterly consumed with terrors.” (Psalm 73:18-19)
- “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going.” (Ecclesiastes 9:10)
- “For when he dies he shall carry nothing away; his glory shall not descend after him. Though while he lives he blesses himself (for men will praise you when you do well for yourself).” (Psalm 49:17)
When you read all of these verses one right after the other, there can be no doubt in anyone’s rational mind that a place called hell really does exist, and that God is not using any type of metaphorical or symbolic type language in the above verses. All of these verses are meant to be taken very, very literally. As such, this is another basic doctrine that has to be fully accepted and fully taught on by every single church and denomination in the Christian faith.
Again, if you ever come across any church, pastor, or denomination that is trying to do away with this basic major doctrine, then run for the hills. For if they are starting to be deceived enough where they are no longer wanting to believe in this basic major doctrine, then it will not be long before they start falling into major serious error on some of the other basic tenets of the Christian faith.
This is part 12 of our 13 part series on the Basic Tenants of our Christian Faith.
1. An Introduction to the “Basic Tenets of Christian Faith”
2. Jesus Christ is the Only Way To Eternal Salvation With God the Father
3. We Are Saved by Grace Through Faith – Not by Works
4. Jesus Christ is the Son of God
5. The Incarnation of Jesus Christ
6. Resurrection of Jesus Christ
7. The Ascension of Jesus Christ
8. The Doctrine of the Trinity
9. The Holy Bible is the Inspired and Infallible Word of God
10. Baptized With the Holy Spirit at Salvation
11. Renewed – Regenerated By Holy Spirit
12. The Doctrine of Hell
13. The Return of Jesus