As you will see in the very powerful verses I will be listing in this article – Jesus Christ, and His sacrificial death on the cross, is the central and most important fundamental, basic tenet of the Christian faith. Jesus Christ is God’s only plan of eternal salvationfor the entire world.
The Bible specifically says, without any other possible interpretation, that there is only one God, one faith, one baptism, and one way to God the Father – and that is only through His Son Jesus Christ and His sacrificial death on the cross.
Jesus says that He, and only He, is the way, the truth, and the life leading to God the Father and that no one comes to the Father except through Him!
Many people, including some Christians, believe that God the Father honors all other religions as long as people try to live a good and godly life and try to stay out of trouble.
However, as you will see in the Scripture verses I will list below, this is not the way God the Father has everything set up.
God will not honor any other religion, and He makes it very clear that it is only through His Son Jesus and His sacrificial death on the cross that will give people eternal salvation and thus eternal life with Him in heaven.
The Bible says that we are appointed for the defense of the gospel. It is our job, when called upon, to defend God and Jesus on the basics of our salvation. Here are two verses specifically telling us this:
- “… knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel.” (Philippians 1:17)
- “… always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you …” (1 Peter 3:15)
Below are some of the main verses from Scripture that will deal with the basics of our eternal salvation through Jesus Christ. These verses are the basic ammunition that you will need when witnessing to anyone.
There are 6 main principles to the basic message of God’s plan of eternal salvation for the entire world. Here they are, along with all of the Scripture verses to back them up.
1. Jesus Christ is the Only Way to Eternal Salvation with God the Father
As stated above, there is no other name under Heaven by which man can be saved other than through the name of Jesus Christ! God the Father will not honor any other name, religion or faith!
Please note the extreme power and authority on the first four verses listed below.
These first four verses specifically tell us, without any other possible interpretation, that Jesus Christ is the only way to be able to receive eternal salvation with God the Father.
- “Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” (Acts 4:12)
- “For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all …” (1 Timothy 2:5)
- “There is one body and one Spirit … one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.” (Ephesians 4:4)
- Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” (John 14:6)
- “I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and find pasture … I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.” (John 10:9)
- Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life, he who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.” (John 11:25)
- Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.” (John 8:12)
- And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.” (John 6:35)
- “I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.” (John 6:51)
- “… whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” (John 3:15-16)
- “He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” (John 3:36)
- “Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24)
- “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.” (John 5:24)
- “… And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; He who does not have the Son of God does not have life.” (1 John 5:11)
- “And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son as Savior of the world. Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.” (1 John 4:14)
I do not see any other interpretation as to what these verses are trying to tell us other than Jesus Christ is the only way to God the Father and His dwelling place, heaven!
I do not think God the Father could have made things any more clear than by the way He has worded all of the above Scripture verses!
Jesus Himself said in the New Testament that He did not come to bring peace – but division!
What He means by this is that He is drawing a major battle line in the sand.
You either believe in Him and everything that He stands for – or you do not. There are no middle or neutral grounds on this issue.
If you choose not to believe in Jesus Christ and His message of eternal salvation through His death on the cross, then you will die in your sins and go straight to hell when you die – no if, ands, or buts about it!
The life that we are living down here on this earth is serious business!
The choices that we make in this life will determine our ultimate fate in the afterlife.
Choose Jesus Christ and the blood that He has personally shed for you on the cross – and you will then become saved and born again – and you will then enter into the most incredible place imaginable when you die – heaven itself!
Choose anyone or anything else, and you will cross over into the most horrible place imaginable when you die – hell itself, and then eventually into the Lake of Fire and Brimstone after the Millennium has taken place, where the Bible says that the smoke of your torment will ascend forever and ever!
2. God Desires All Men to be Saved
God has given each man and each woman a free will to make their own choices in this life. The next 3 verses will show us that God does not want anyone to perish. However, God will not make or force anyone to accept Him and His Son and what His Son’s death on the cross really means for all of us.
Here are three very powerful verses showing that God wants all men and all women to be saved through the Blood of His Son Jesus.
- “… God our Savior, who desires ALL MEN to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.” (1 Timothy 2:4)
- “The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9)
- “For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. For WHOEVER calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” (Romans 10:12)
Notice that God the Father is wanting all men and all women to accept His free gift of eternal salvation through His Son Jesus Christ. He is not making any exceptions either by race, color, creed, or gender.
The Bible also tells us that God the Father is no respecter of persons, which means He loves each man and each woman equally and unconditionally.
3. We Are Saved by Grace Through Faith – Not Works
The gift of eternal salvation is a free gift given by God to all those who will believe on Jesus and what His death on the cross really means for all of us.
These next 3 verses will specifically tell us that good works will not get us into heaven. Works are needed after salvation.
The Bible says that faith without works is dead – but that is after you have received God’s gift of eternal salvation.
After you get saved, God has a plan and a purpose for your life, and this is where you will go to work for God into whatever your calling is going to be in Him.
But to initially receive the gift of eternal salvation from God the Father is simply done by having faith and belief in Jesus Christ and what He personally did for you with His death on the cross. Here are the verses:
- “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.” (Ephesians 2:8)
- “… knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ … for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.” (Galatians 2:16)
- “Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin … for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:20,23)
The Bible specifically tells us in that last verse that all men and all women have sinned and have fallen way short of the glory of our God.
The Bible says that there are none that are righteous before the eyes of God the Father.
As a result, none of our fleshly works, no matter how good we think they may be, will ever be good enough to get us into heaven or back into the good graces of our Lord and Savior.
4. The Gift of Salvation Now Makes Us Righteous Before God the Father
Once you become saved and born again by accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, the Bible says that we are now made perfectly righteous before the eyes of God.
The righteousness of Jesus has now been imputed to us. This means that we are now free to approach the throne of God for intimate prayer and communication, and when we die, we will all go straight to heaven.
Even though we will continue to commit sin from time to time, God will always forgive us as long as we properly confess each sin when it does happen.
We will never become totally sinless or perfect. No one will ever become the fourth person of the Holy Trinity.
Only God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are totally perfect in Their actual personalities and in all of Their ways. Humans and angels are not!
The Bible says that all men have sinned and will continue to sin, and thus will fall way short of the glory of our God.
That is why Jesus had to come and die for all of our sins – which will include all of the past sins that we have ever committed, all of the present sins we are now committing, and all of the future sins that we will ever commit.
As a result of Jesus dying on the cross for all of our sins, God the Father now sees all of us as righteous and justified before His very eyes – now and for all of eternity, even though we are all still sinners!
Talk about an incredible pardon!
Here are two very powerful verses showing us that we have now all been made perfectly righteous and perfectly justified before God the Father as a result of Jesus dying on the cross for all of our sins.
- “For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.” (2 Corinthians 5:21)
- “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.” (Romans 5:8)
So not only do we get a full pardon and a full remission for all of our sins, but we now get to be made perfectly righteous before God the Father Himself.
Righteousness and Redemption – what more could we ask for!
5. How to Become Saved and Receive the Gift of Eternal Salvation
The Bible makes it very clear as to how to receive the Gift of Eternal Salvation from God the Father:
- Admit that we are sinners, be willing to confess our sins before God, and be willing to repent and turn from those sins.
- Be willing to accept the fact that Jesus Christ came to our earth in the flesh to die on the cross for all of our sins, that He rose from the dead on the third day, and then be willing to formally accept Him as your personal Lord and Savior.
This acceptance of Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior must be confessed out loud before God the Father. It does not have to be done in a church. This can happen to anyone at anytime at any place. It can be done in the privacy of one’s own bedroom. Here are three specific verses showing all of the above points.
- “REPENT THEREFORE and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.” (Acts 3:19)
- “IF WE CONFESS OUR SINS, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)
- “… if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes to righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made to salvation.” (Romans 10:9)
Notice the last verse says to confess with your mouth, and with the mouth confession is made to receive salvation.
This means just saying a good, basic, salvation prayer out loud direct to God the Father from your heart.
Below is a good, basic, salvation prayer to give to someone who wants to get saved by accepting Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.
Some people call this the “Sinners Prayer.” Others call it a basic salvation prayer. Either title will work.
Basic Salvation Prayer
Say the following prayer out loud, believe it from your heart, and you will be saved.
I now believe that Jesus Christ is Your only begotten Son, that He came down to our earth in the flesh and died on the cross to take away all of my sins and the sins of this world. I believe that Jesus Christ then rose from the dead on the third day to give all of us eternal life.
I now confess to You all of the wrong and sinful things I have ever done in my life. I ask that You please forgive Me and wash away all of my sins by the blood that You have personally shed for me on the cross. I am now ready to accept You as my personal Lord and Savior. I now ask that You come into my life and live with Me for all of eternity.
Father, Jesus – I now believe that I am truly saved and born again.
Thank you Father.
Thank you Jesus.
For more information on the above Sinner’s Prayer, we have another article in our site in the Prayer section titled, “The Sinner’s Prayer.” In this article, we give you some additional information as to what goes on behind the scenes in the spiritual realm when God does start to move in on someone in an effort to try and get them saved.
6. Become a Fisherman for God
All of the above are what I call the basics to understanding what eternal salvation through Jesus Christ is really all about. I will be doing other articles on what it really means to be born again, as this comes off the story of Adam and Eve.
To lead someone into eternal salvation through Jesus Christ is really a work of the Holy Spirit.
I will show you how God the Father will set people up, and why every Christian needs to be open and sensitive to letting God, through the Holy Spirit, direct you as to who you should witness to and exactly how to go about it. Now that your are saved, God wants you to become a fisherman for Him.
All of the above Scripture verses will give you major, live, ammunition to use when trying to get someone saved.
The Holy Spirit will really move on someone if you stay with His leadings as to when to witness to that someone and exactly how to go about it.
According to the Bible, the greatest thing we can accomplish in this life is to get another person saved and brought home to the Lord – because with the gift of eternal salvation comes the gift of eternal life – which means that when we die, we will be able to enter into heaven to be with God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, all of Their angels, and all of our saved loved ones who have passed away and are now living in heaven.
To bring a person into that incredible reality after they die is the greatest thing you can do for another human being!
It is the ultimate superman scenario. You are literally saving their eternal life.
I do not believe there is any other accomplishment that will bring about as much fulfillment as this one act will do.
I will leave you with 16 very good verses from the Bible showing you the extreme importance on God being able to use each and every one of us to get other people saved in this life.
- Then Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations …” (Matthew 28:18)
- And He said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.” (Matthew 4:19)
- “As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” (John 20:21)
- “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:14)
- “Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops.” (Matthew 10:27)
- “… to whom I now send you, to open their eyes and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.” (Acts 26:17)
- “Preach the word. Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, and exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.” (2 Timothy 4:2)
- “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, who bring glad tidings of good things.” (Romans 10:15)
- “For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost … Even so it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish.” (Matthew 18:11,14)
- “Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord …” (2 Timothy 1:8)
- “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes … ” (Romans 1:16)
- “For I seek Your precepts. I will speak of Your testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.” (Psalm 119:45)
- “Deliver those who are drawn toward death, and hold back those stumbling to the slaughter.” (Proverbs 24:11)
- “Therefore we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us …” (2 Corinthians 5:20)
- “They shall speak of the glory of Your kingdom, and talk of Your power, to make known to the sons of men His mighty acts, and the glorious majesty of His kingdom.” (Psalm 145:11)
- “Men shall speak of the might of Your awesome acts, and I will declare Your greatness. They shall utter the memory of Your great goodness, and shall sing of Your righteousness.” (Psalms 145:6)
If you believe the Holy Bible is truly the inspired and infallible Word of our God, then there is absolutely no other interpretation or spin that you can put on the above verses. God the Father has made it as clear as He possibly could with the way that He has worded all of the above Scripture verses.
Bottom line – God’s free gift of eternal salvation can only be received by accepting His Son Jesus Christ and the blood that He has personally shed for each and everyone of us on that day He died on the cross.
There is no other way into the Kingdom of God! We either come through the blood and the cross – or we don’t come through at all!
I rest my case for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.