The very last thing that Jesus did with the apostles was to literally ascend back up into heaven from where He had originally come from. With this being the very last thing that Jesus did with the apostles, this highly supernatural event should also be included as one of the main basic tenets of the Christian faith.
Here are 5 very good verses all showing us that Jesus literally ascended back up into heaven after He had fully completed His divine mission for all of us down here on our earth.
- “And He led then out as far as Bethany, and He lifted up His hands and blessed them. Now it came to pass, while He blessed them, that He was parted from them and carried up into heaven.” (Luke 24:50-51)
- Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold two men stood by them in white apparel, who also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.” (Acts 1:9-10)
- Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to Me, for I have yet not ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.’ ” (John 20:17)
- “No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven.” (John 3:13)
- “What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before?” (John 6:62)
Again, I believe that all of these verses should be interpreted literally. And just as Jesus ended the first part of His story with us by ascending back up into heaven, He is going to begin the second part of His story with us by coming back down to us in the same way that He left us – by visibly descending back down to us from heaven where every eye will be able to see Him.
The ascension of Jesus Christ back up into heaven now fully completes the greatest story ever told, and it thus should be fully accepted and fully taught as one of the main, basic, fundamental tenets of the Christian faith.
This is part 7 of our 13 part series on the Basic Tenants of our Christian Faith.
1. An Introduction to the “Basic Tenets of Christian Faith”
2. Jesus Christ is the Only Way To Eternal Salvation With God the Father
3. We Are Saved by Grace Through Faith – Not by Works
4. Jesus Christ is the Son of God
5. The Incarnation of Jesus Christ
6. Resurrection of Jesus Christ
7. The Ascension of Jesus Christ
8. The Doctrine of the Trinity
9. The Holy Bible is the Inspired and Infallible Word of God
10. Baptized With the Holy Spirit at Salvation
11. Renewed – Regenerated By Holy Spirit
12. The Doctrine of Hell
13. The Return of Jesus