Regeneration by the Holy Spirit
Once we receive the Holy Spirit into our human spirits at the moment of our conversions to the Lord, another very powerful thing will then happen. Our human spirits will be immediately and instantaneously regenerated by the Holy Spirit.
Here is the verse that will give us this specific revelation from the Lord:
“But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” (Titus 3:4-7)
Notice two very important things in this verse:
First, this regeneration is being directly tied to us getting saved in the Lord. The words “but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit “ are definitely telling us that we are saved by God’s grace and mercy and that when He does save us, He is saving us “through” the regeneration of the Holy Spirit.
Second, this regeneration is being done directly by the Holy Spirit Himself. The words “regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit” are telling us that this regeneration is being done directly by the Holy Spirit Himself.
Here are some very good definitions from some of the different Bible Dictionaries and Commentaries on what the word “regeneration” means.
- Spiritually reborn
- Spiritual rebirth producing a new beginning
- A spiritual rebirth, being renewed, reformed or reconstituted
- Renewed or restored after a decline to a low condition
- New birth, the begetting of new life
- Renewal of moral and spiritual nature
- The rebirth of the human spirit to a restored relationship with God – Renewed to life and salvation by faith in God
- An act of God through the Holy Spirit resulting in an inner, personal resurrection from sin to a new life in Jesus Christ
- The radical spiritual change in which God brings an individual from a condition of spiritual defeat and death to a renewed condition of holiness and life
We have another article in our site that covers this event very thoroughly. The title of this article is, “Regeneration by the Holy Spirit,” and it is in the Bible Basics section of our site.
As a result of this regenerative work that is immediately and instantaneously done by the Holy Spirit at the moment of our conversions with the Lord, our human spirits are immediately “born again.” Here is the verse direct from Jesus Himself telling us exactly what it means to be born again with Him:
“… I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God … unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.” (John 3:3,5)
Notice that being born again is referring direct to being born of the Holy Spirit Himself. In other words, if you do not have the Holy Spirit living on the inside of your human spirit, then you are not truly born again in the Lord.
It is only when the Holy Spirit comes and enters into your human spirit are you truly born again in the Lord – and the only way to be able to get the Holy Spirit to enter into your human spirit is to be willing to accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior. There is no other way into the kingdom of God. We either come through Jesus and the blood that He has personally shed for all of us on the cross or we do not come through at all.
As a result of being truly born again, our spiritual relationship with the Lord has now been fully restored. We are now brand new creatures who have now been given a brand new life with the Lord. The Bible tells us that all old things have now passed away and that all things have now been made brand new.
Due to the extreme importance of this supernatural work that is done by the Holy Spirit at the exact moment of each believer’s conversion to the Lord, this revelation from the Word of God must also be included as one of the basic fundamental tenets of the Christian faith.
This is part 11 of our 13 part series on the Basic Tenants of our Christian Faith.
1. An Introduction to the “Basic Tenets of Christian Faith”
2. Jesus Christ is the Only Way To Eternal Salvation With God the Father
3. We Are Saved by Grace Through Faith – Not by Works
4. Jesus Christ is the Son of God
5. The Incarnation of Jesus Christ
6. Resurrection of Jesus Christ
7. The Ascension of Jesus Christ
8. The Doctrine of the Trinity
9. The Holy Bible is the Inspired and Infallible Word of God
10. Baptized With the Holy Spirit at Salvation
11. Renewed – Regenerated By Holy Spirit
12. The Doctrine of Hell
13. The Return of Jesus