Another very powerful tool we have in our arsenal as born-again believers is the ability to bless other people in the name of Jesus.
I think this is one of those benefits that we have forgotten how powerful it really is. We are so used to praying before our meals and asking God to bless the food with which we are about to eat, that we forget how much further we can really go with this privilege that we have already received from the Lord.
The ability to bless other people and other things is an extremely powerful prayer tool and every Christian should try and do it on some kind of a regular basis, as you never know how far God will actually work with you in this realm.
Here are some of the definitions on exactly what a blessing is from some of the different Bible Dictionaries:
- To bestow happiness or prosperity upon; praise and glorify
- Pronouncement of God’s gracious favor
- The act of declaring, or extending through pronouncement, God’s favor and goodness upon others
For those of you who were not aware of this incredible privilege that we have already received from the Lord, I will go ahead and give you some of the key verses from the Bible showing you that we have been definitely granted this type of authority and privilege from the Lord. I will then end this article giving you some examples of how you can use this powerful privilege in the name of Jesus.
As you will see with some of the examples I will give you below, there is literally an infinite number of things and situations that you can try and bless in the name of Jesus. And when you do bless other people or other situations, real life spiritual transactions can actually take place with the person or situation you are blessing. In other words, the Holy Spirit can actually move to impart the specific blessing that you have just prayed over someone.
The Scripture Verses
Here are 16 very good verses showing the wide variety of situations in which blessings were granted, either direct by God the Father, Jesus Christ, or some of His own people back in both the Old and New Testaments.
- “Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.” And He took them up in His arms and blessed them. (Mark 10:15-16)
- “The curse of the Lord is on the house of the wicked, but He blesses the habitation of the just.” (Proverbs 3:33)
- “And He led them out as far as Bethany, and He lifted up His hands and blessed them. Now it came to pass, while He blessed them, that He was parted from them and carried up into heaven.” (Luke 24:50)
- “Then He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, He blessed and broke them, and gave them to the disciples to set before the multitudes.” (Luke 9:16)
- Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!” (Luke 1:42)
- “So Joshua blessed them and sent them away, and they went to their tents.” (Joshua 22:6)
- “You are the sons of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with your fathers, saying to Abraham, ‘And in your seed all the families of the earth shall be blessed.'” (Acts 3:25)
- “When you have eaten and are full, then you shall bless the Lord your God for the good land which He has given you.” (Deuteronomy 8:10)
- “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all of His benefits.” (Psalm 103:2)
- “With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God.” (James 3:9)
- “Otherwise if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uniformed say “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say?” (1 Corinthians 14:16)
- “The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?” (1 Corinthians 10:16)
- And God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.” (Genesis 1:22)
- “But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.” (Matthew 5:44)
- “Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.” (Romans 12:14)
- “But whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ And if the son of peace is there, your peace will rest on it; if not, it will return to you.” (Luke 10:5-6)
Notice in addition to God being able to directly bless us and we blessing other people in His name, that we can also directly bless God ourselves.
As you can see from the above verses, not only did God the Father bless in the Old Testament and Jesus blessed in the New Testament, but both the apostles in the New Testament and some of the patriarchs in the Old Testament also blessed others in the name of God.
When Jesus left and ascended to His Father, He told us to do what He did. He has thus given us His authority and His power to carry on His supernatural ministry. And part of that supernatural ministry is the right to be able to bestow blessings upon one another in His name.
Examples of What You Can Bless In the Name of Jesus
There are literally an infinite number of things you can bless in the name of Jesus. Just so you can see how far you can actually go with this privilege, here are a few examples.
- Bless the food you eat at every meal.
- Bless someone with peace if they have lost it due to an adverse development that may have just occurred in their life.
- Bless the baby a mother is carrying in her womb, and ask God to bless the mother with a perfectly normal healthy baby.
- Ask God to bless someone with a new job if they have just lost their job.
- Ask God to bless someone with knowledge and wisdom if they are having a hard time in trying to solve a personal problem.
- Ask God to bless your finances or someone else’s finances if they have run into trouble.
- Ask God to bless your house or any other valuable personal items you may have.
- Ask God to bless our country and our political leaders. Ask God to bless our leaders with His knowledge and wisdom so they can make the right decisions with the tough times we are now all facing.
- Ask God to bless any new adventure or any new job you are now taking.
- Ask God to personally bless you with His knowledge and wisdom so you can make all the right choices in this life.
- Ask God to bless you with favor at your place of employment.
- Bless the marriages of all of your children so they can stay under the hand and covering of God.
- Bless others with joy, peace, and happiness in the Lord.
As you can see from these types of examples, there are just a wide variety of things that you can bless in the name of Jesus. You can pronounce blessings on yourself, other people, different type of situations like marriages and pregnancies, and actual objects like your houses and some of your personal items and possessions.
How to Word a Blessing
For those of you who are looking on how to word a blessing, here are a few suggestions using some of the above examples.
- Father, in the name of Jesus, I ask that You bless the child in my wife’s womb and that You bless our child with perfect health and long life.
- Father, I ask that You bless Joe with a new job since he has just lost his job. Bless him with the right job for Your glory, in Jesus name.
- Father, please bless Susan with Your knowledge and wisdom to solve the personal problem that she is dealing with at work, in Jesus name.
- Father, in the name of Jesus, I ask that You bless the new job that I am about to take. I ask that You bless this job and also bless me with favor with both my bosses and the people that I will now be working with.
- Father, in the name of Jesus, I ask that You bless the marriage of my son Daniel and his new wife Tracy. I ask that You bless them with happiness, peace, joy, and long life in You. I ask that You also bless any children they may have. I ask that You bless each one of their children with perfect health and long life.
- Father, in the name of Jesus, I ask that You bless this country and bless the leaders of our country. I ask that You specifically bless them with Your knowledge and wisdom so they can make the right choices to keep this country safe, strong, and secure in You. I ask all of this in Jesus name.
Again, there are just an infinite number of things or situations that you can actually pray a blessing over in the name of Jesus.
Many of us have heard the words, “God bless you,” so many times, that we really have forgotten what this principle is all about and how powerful it really is, especially if it is being done under the unction of the Holy Spirit.
Again, real life transactions can actually occur in the spiritual realm when we pronounce a blessing on someone or something. The Holy Spirit Himself can move on the person or situation that we are pronouncing the blessing over and actually impart exactly what we are blessing that someone with.
That is why it would help if you can be very specific with what you are blessing someone with as versus just doing a general type of blessing.
To those of you who have never really tried out this privilege we now have with the Lord, you might want to start experimenting with it, as you never know when God will move to actually back you up with what you are blessing.
Ask, and you just may receive some incredible blessings, for either yourself or someone else you may be blessing.