Without question, the first basic tenet of the Christian faith is that Jesus Christ and His sacrificial death on the cross is the only way to be able to receive eternal salvation with God the Father.
The Bible makes it very clear that there is no other name and no other way into the kingdom of God other than through the name of Jesus Christ and His sacrificial death on the cross.
If any other church or denomination ever starts to preach that there are any other names or any other ways into the kingdom of heaven with God the Father other than through the name of Jesus Christ, then run for the hills if they will not stand to be properly corrected, as they will have fallen into very heavy, serious error with God the Father.
In our Statement of Faith, we state that Jesus Christ is the ONLY WAY to eternal salvation with God the Father, that there is no other name under heaven by which man can be saved, and that no one comes to the Father except through Jesus Christ and His sacrificial death on the cross.
We believe that Jesus Christ is the only way that leads to eternal life with God the Father and that there is no other mediator or savior between God and man other than Jesus Christ.
In our article titled, “The Basics of Eternal Salvation Through Jesus Christ,” we give you many of the main verses from the Bible showing that Jesus Christ is the only way to be able to receive eternal salvation with God the Father.
Once again, here are some of those main verses so you can have all of them right at your fingertips for this article:
- “Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” (Acts 4:12)
- “For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all …” (1 Timothy 2:5)
- “There is one body and one Spirit … one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.” (Ephesians 4:4)
- Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” (John 14:6)
- “I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and find pasture … I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.” (John 10:9)
- Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life, he who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.” (John 11:25)
- Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.” (John 8:12)
- And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.” (John 6:35)
- “I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.” (John 6:51)
- “… whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life
- For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” (John 3:15-16)
All of these verses mean exactly what they are saying and they thus should all be taken very seriously and very literally. God is not mincing any words.
Either we believe on His Son Jesus and come directly to Him through His Son’s sacrificial death on the cross, or we will all simply die in all of our sins and trespasses before Him. This is an all-or-nothing proclamation being made by the Lord to every single person He has ever created.
Bottom line on this first basic tenet – as a result of the first sin of Adam and Eve, we have now all been born into this world in sin and iniquity.
In other words, we have all been born into this world with a fallen and sinful nature. As a result of all of us now being born into this world with a fallen and sinful nature, there is now no one who is truly righteous enough before God the Father.
As a result of no one now being truly righteous enough before God the Father, we all now need a Savior who will save us and redeem us from our sins.
God the Father, since He loves all of us so much, decided to send down His one and only begotten Son Jesus Christ to our earth in the flesh so He could then be crucified on a cross for all of our sins. Jesus has now paid the full penalty for all of our sins when He died on the cross for all of us – and unless a person is willing to admit that they are a sinner in need of Jesus’ saving grace, they will then die in their sins and fallen state before Him.
Thus any pastor, church, or denomination that ever starts to get away from this first basic tenet with the Lord will be treading on very serious ground with Him. There is simply no other interpretation or spin that you can put on any of the above verses.
They are all very easy to understand and they all mean exactly what they are saying. Jesus Christ, and His sacrificial death on the cross, is the central and most important fundamental, basic tenet of the Christian faith. End of discussion!
This is part 2 of our 13 part series on the Basic Tenants of our Christian Faith.
1. An Introduction to the “Basic Tenets of Christian Faith”
2. Jesus Christ is the Only Way To Eternal Salvation With God the Father
3. We Are Saved by Grace Through Faith – Not by Works
4. Jesus Christ is the Son of God
5. The Incarnation of Jesus Christ
6. Resurrection of Jesus Christ
7. The Ascension of Jesus Christ
8. The Doctrine of the Trinity
9. The Holy Bible is the Inspired and Infallible Word of God
10. Baptized With the Holy Spirit at Salvation
11. Renewed – Regenerated By Holy Spirit
12. The Doctrine of Hell
13. The Return of Jesus