The 9 Fruits of the Holy Spirit

As you will see in the Scripture verse I will give you in this article – there is one very special incredible verse that will tell you that God the Father wants to transmit and impart 9 specific fruits of the Holy Spirit up into our personalities.

God wants all of us to enter into a true sanctification process with Him so that He can begin the process of molding, shaping, and transforming us into the express image of His Son Jesus Christ. He wants to make us into a better and more holy people. He wants to transform us by the renewing of our minds. He wants to put right thinking into our thought process.

In the “Sanctification,” I gave you the specific verses from Scripture that showed you that it is by the power of the Holy Spirit that this sanctification process is done with you in this life. However, you will not be a passive robot in all of this. You have to be willing to work in cooperation with the Holy Spirit once He begins to start this sanctification process within you.

Your job will be to get into the Word to find out exactly what it is God is going to want to change about you. You will need to find out exactly what godly qualities God will want you to try and “put on” into your personality, and what qualities He will want you to try and “put away.”

This article will be the first of a series of articles giving you all of the appropriate Scripture verses showing you exactly which qualities and attributes God will want to get worked into your personality, and which qualities He will want to pull out of you. And there is no better place to start this series of articles than with the 9 fruits of the Holy Spirit.

If you want to start off by keying on some of the more positive, godly qualities that God would really like to get worked into your personality – really study and meditate on these 9 specific qualities.

When God the Father purposely isolates and spells out 9 specific qualities that will be coming direct from His Holy Spirit – then He is really letting you know the extreme importance of these 9 specific fruits.

These 9 fruits are major fruits and qualities that are coming direct from God Himself – and every Christian should do the best they can to work with the Holy Spirit in getting all 9 of these fruits worked into their personality.

I will first start off by highlighting each of these 9 specific fruits so that you can have all 9 of them isolated right at the top of this article. I will then give you the Scripture verse where these 9 fruits are coming from, and then do a brief commentary on each one of these fruits so you can fully understand what each one of these fruits are all about, and how they can dramatically change the quality of your life and state of well-being if you are willing to allow the Holy Spirit to start to work all 9 of these fruits into your personality.

Here are the 9 fruits of the Holy Spirit listed one right after the other in a bolded, numbered format:

1. Love
  2. Joy
  3. Peace
  4. Longsuffering
  5. Kindness
  6. Goodness
  7. Faithfulness
  8. Gentleness
  9. Self-control

Now here is the specific verse from Scripture where these 9 fruits are being given to us by the Lord:

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.” (Galatians 5:22)

Before I get into the appropriate commentary on each of these nine fruits, note the following:

1. The word “Spirit” is with a capital “S” – which means these 9 fruits are coming directly from the Holy Spirit, not from ourselves.
  2. What this means is that God’s love, God’s peace, God’s joy, and God’s goodness can start to be transmitted up into our personality. These are His divine attributes and personality qualities that will start to move into the core of our personality.
  3. Think about the ramifications of this – that God the Father Himself is allowing us to share in a part of His divine nature by allowing His Holy Spirit to transmit and impart these nine divine qualities right up into our soul and personality!

This is why God the Father is specifically telling us in this verse that these 9 fruits are coming directly from His Holy Spirit – so that we can all fully appreciate the magnitude of such an experience.

Jesus has already told us that He is the vine and we are the branches. The branches draw their life from the vine, not vice versa. Just as the branch draws its life from the vine, so too must we draw our life directly from Jesus. Jesus will release His divine life directly into us through the Holy Spirit in the exact same way that the vine will release the life of the tree into the branches.

In one short, but incredible powerful Scripture verse, God the Father is giving all of us an incredible revelation on what can go on behind the scenes in the spiritual realm for those who are willing to work with Him in this sanctification process.

Now I will go on to describe what each one of these nine fruits are all about and give you definitions from some of the different Bible Dictionaries and Commentaries, thereby making it easier for you to work with the Holy Spirit once He starts to move in on you to try and impart some of these divine qualities and attributes into the core of your personality.

Table of Contents:
An Introduction to The 9 Fruits of the Holy Spirit
1. Love – 2. Joy – 3. Peace – 4. Longsuffering – 5. Kindness
6. Goodness – 7. Faithfulness – 8. Gentleness – 9. Self Control

Conclusion

All of the above definitions on each one of the 9 fruits of the Holy Spirit give you a perfect description of what each one of them are all about, and why God the Father really wants to work each one of these 9 fruits into our personalities.

As you can see when reviewing each one of them, they are all very powerful – and they not only have the ability to help change, transform, and sanctify you – but they also have the ability to touch all of those around you.

Nothing will draw nonbelievers and believers alike to the Lord than a truly sanctified saint in the Lord who is walking and operating in all 9 fruits of the Holy Spirit.

If you are willing to allow the Holy Spirit to work and transmit all 9 of these fruits up into your personality to some appreciable degree in this life – you will then become a light that will literally radiate the presence of God Himself through your soul and personality.

You have no idea how many people you will be able to save, touch, witness to, and help disciple if you have these fruits operating through you. These fruits will give you a credibility with God and with other people that no degree or title can give you in this life.

This sanctification process is the ultimate, highest aim and goal with God for our lives.

For those of you who are not afraid to let God begin this deeper sanctifying work in your life – keep these 9 fruits of the Holy Spirit directly in front of you.

And then work very closely with the Holy Spirit once He starts to manifest these fruits up into your personality.

These fruits will be coming directly from Him. They will be His love, His goodness, His joy, and His peace that will start to flow into you. But you will still have to do your part in all of this. Once these divine attributes start to be released into your personality by the Holy Spirit – your job will then be to start to walk and operate in them.

If the Holy Spirit starts to release His quality of love into your personality, but you start refusing to walk and operate in that love in your words and actions to others – then He will start to pull it back from you after a reasonable length of time.

If He starts to manifest His quality of self-control in you in an effort to try and take out some of the negative qualities that He will not want operating in your personality, and you refuse to rely on that self-control, and you override it and continue to operate in those negative qualities – then again, He will pull it back from you until you are ready to work in cooperation with Him.

This sanctification process is a two way street.

God is more than willing and anxious to do His part – but you will have to be willing to do your part. And your part will be to learn what changes God will want to make with you – and then start to live, walk, and operate in those specific changes once the Holy Spirit starts this supernatural, sanctification process within you.

This part God cannot do for you.

Jesus gave Peter the power and ability to be able to walk on water. But there was one thing Peter had to do before that supernatural power was released to him. He had to get out of the boat and start walking straight forward on that power.

It was only when he got out of the boat and started walking straight forward did the supernatural power of God manifest that allowed him to literally walk on water!

It’s the exact same way in this sanctification realm with the Lord. God, through the Holy Spirit, will give you the supernatural power to change, transform, and sanctify you – but you will have to be like Peter and be willing to live and walk in that supernatural power before it can really start to work to change and sanctify you.

Jesus is coming back for a Bride that will be without spot or blemish. He is calling His Church to clean up their act and allow His Holy Spirit to begin this deeper sanctifying work in their lives. However, the choice is up to each individual believer. Sanctification is not something that can be forced upon anyone. God really respects everyone’s free will and He will never force His will or His ways on anyone.

To those of you who will decide to enter into this sanctification process with the Lord – realize that all of this will not occur overnight. The Holy Spirit will set the pace and timetable that He will want to work with you on. You can perfectly trust Him to handle each of the areas that He will want to get into.

Though some of this may be a bit painful at times, since none of us likes to admit that we have anything that needs to be changed, let the Holy Spirit take you as far as He will want to go with you in this realm – and I guarantee you that your life and your state of well-being will all be changed for the better – much better!

Table of Contents:
An Introduction to The 9 Fruits of the Holy Spirit
1. Love – 2. Joy – 3. Peace – 4. Longsuffering – 5. Kindness
6. Goodness – 7. Faithfulness – 8. Gentleness – 9. Self Control

Comments

77 Responses to “The 9 Fruits of the Holy Spirit”

1. Bill - September 10, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Very good article from a Spirit filled perspective which you don’t see too much of on the internet. One thing I would like to point out is this (not meaning to be too picky), The word fruit is singular not plural which is important. The fruit of the Spirit is love and all its attributes that follow. Also, even though we do have our part to do according to Eph. 4:17-24, This fruit is not something we do, it is who we are as we walk in the Spirit. Great website. I look forward to seeing more. God bless.

• Ruth - February 23, 2018 at 8:48 am

Thank you Bill, you said this so well. I attempted in my reply to ‘Scott Troyer’. I really like how simply you said it here – we can never do, all that is ever done for His kingdom is done by Him, through Him , and for the glory of God. He does the works, He is the love, we are emptied out vessels. I am so glad you, Juan Carlos’ and ‘Love and Peace have written in this thread about the word “is” in this wonderful verse. I needed to be reminded of it. Galatians 5:22 became a constant loop in my mind when I was saved and filled with the spirit.

2. Karen - October 28, 2014 at 11:01 am

I really appreciate finding this article on Google. I typed in fruits of the Spirit defined and this is the first article that popped up. We are doing a study beginning tomorrow and because of you I will be well equipped. Thank you again!!!!

3. Renee' Ellis - May 15, 2014 at 5:48 pm

I love God, and I thank him every day , and he brings me closer buy showing me and teaching me , different ways to be as good and kind as he wishes for all of us, thank you God for another day of learning, Amen

4. Scott Troyer - April 27, 2014 at 6:30 am

I was just thinking about what type of person I really am.

The Bible, and the Fruits of the Spirit came to mind.

I thought about works without fruit are empty, and that I need to
    constantly remind myself “Am I producing fruit?”. “What is the evidence
    of this Fruit?”

I found myself challenged to not only remember what real “Fruit” is, but to
    continue to apply it to my life as I grow as a Christian.

I may not be there yet, but, with God’s Grace, I’m aware.

• Ruth - February 23, 2018 at 8:33 am

Hi Scott,
      When a
      tree produces fruit it is because that is what is already in the seed that became that tree. So you see it is not just the tree producing the fruit, it is the seed as it is not us producing the fruit but what is within by salvation – God. When the Holy Spirit of God produces fruit in us, the “the branches” of the One True Vine, Jesus it is because that is what the Father, God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus are – they are one in all ways, they are love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, meekness (strength under control) and self-discipline. So Scott when you received Jesus you received the “fruit” that is why it is called being born again – we die to self (the old nature, the flesh) and are reborn, become alive in Christ Jesus. That is a daily renewal of death to the old self and nature, and regeneration to our life in Jesus. This is why being in the Word of God every day is how we are sanctified. His holy Word is our purification, God does it through His Word, His Light, His Way, His Truth, Jesus.

5. Gloria - April 16, 2014 at 3:49 am

Man of God I have been so blessed by your detailed explanation of the fruit of the spirit . I will share this with my three daughters.

6. Lethiwe Ndumo - February 6, 2014 at 4:36 am

Thank you so much Man of God. God has used you in a mighty way to simplify this and make it practical. May God continue to bless u.

7. dennis - February 3, 2014 at 5:43 pm

thank you for the fruit it is really good it help me out a lot especially faithfulness witch I have to speak on again thank you

8. Mattie - January 4, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Thank you! This was so helpful for my bible study class on the Holy Spirit. Cannot thank you enough. God bless you for this website.

9. weston - November 18, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Very informative and uplifting. Really help me to see where I am in my Christian maturity and how I should continue to choose to grow deeper in the Lord. Thankx again

10. Michele - November 20, 2012 at 10:27 am

While doing my bible readings today I really felt compelled by the Holy Spirit to get intentional about really studying and applying the Fruits of the Spirit in my life. I came Googled Gifts of the Spirit and came upon this sight. Very good information. I printed it and will study it daily asking God the areas I need to change in my life.. Thank you for this information. Its really great stuff…

11. Marisol - October 15, 2012 at 10:03 am

Wanted to thank you on the full explinations that I have read and am studing. Alot is being revealed to me as I read each one of the Fruits. Praise God that all the information needed is in His Book. This has opened my eyes more to see what I need to do. My mind needs to rest so that His Spirit may work on me. God Bless You

12. Tre' Reed - October 12, 2012 at 9:52 pm

This is a good and well developed way to present the fruits of the spirit. I was thinking of teaching this to the kids I teach in sabbath school and I thank you ever so much for this information. God bless.

-Tre’

13. Steve - August 30, 2012 at 1:18 am

This teaching on the Fruit of the Spirit is a great blessing to me.It has come at a time i have been struggling with self-control. God bless you so much.Steve, Nairobi, Kenya.

14. government agent-federal! - August 7, 2012 at 4:58 pm

great.i love the three lords.

15. arnell s.maranan - June 23, 2012 at 1:59 am

Very enlighten. People need to read, learn and apply it for everyday lives. sucess comes and starting to learn and doing it today, tomorrow and forever the world will achieve the greatest gift of God if all people will accept the LORD AND SAVIOUR ABOVE ALMIGHTY GOD. God bless us.

16. denise - June 17, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I am an overseer (leader) for Redeemed Outreach for Woman in Phoenix, AZ. Currently there are 32 women and 4 children residing in our home. One of the things that I try to teach them is to live a Christ like life. I try doing this by teaching them the word. Each week I assign them homework to do. It’s usually a chapter from the bible that they summarize and then apply to their lives. This week however, due to some things that have occurred over the past week or so, I decided to give them homework on the fruits of the spirit, hoping that this will help them to get a long better with each other, as well as others in their lives. I searched on line for something that would help me in teaching them this, and ran into this site. It was very helpful to me and informative to me. This was what I was looking for. Thank you.

17. oladosu yinka - May 9, 2012 at 3:17 am

God bless you for a good work well done, am writing a book on the need to be prepare for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and one of the question i asked in the book was “ARE YOU MANIFESTING ALL THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT?” the reason i asked the question was that in my community here in Nigeria Christians desire the gifts of the Spirit because it make them famous but we neglect the fruit of the Spirit that will guarantee us a place in the kingdom of God.

18. Leona - April 26, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I thank God for the wonderful “Fruit” bowl that I just recieved. For those persons commenting on the word fruit being in single form; please read that scripture again. God will approve your study and understanding. GOD BLESS the writer and all the readers.

19. Bathram Iwunze - April 25, 2012 at 5:21 pm

When I gave my life to Jesus Christ, it was a great joy hoping that these visible attributes of a christian will automatically manifest in me because alot of the “Word” I heard was based on preaching than teaching the foundational principles to a new convent.Thank God for servants like you who studied and impacted us with the prudent insight of what it takes to be a christian.You are doing a great work for the kingdom. May God continue to find you a vessel unto honor. Thank you.

20. Jade Raeanna Staniforth - April 21, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Wow, This really helped me see where I am lacking with God! I am so thankful for this article! It really has inspired me to do better and seek a more personal relationship with our father! Thank you for the encouraging words! GOD IS SO GOOD ALWAYS!!! =)

21. christine nkirote - April 19, 2012 at 4:31 am

blessed to have people who can teach the word of God in net, i love these God bless. u’ve blessed ma heart.

22. David Arogundade - April 17, 2012 at 9:46 pm

This is a wonderful article and God will continue to bless your source of knowledge and wisdom. Please be using more Bible references in order to have more in depth teaching bible based.

Thanks and God bless you.
    David

23. OLATUNDE - April 17, 2012 at 11:25 am

I love ur message and i will like to get closer to you people.i will also love to have one of your book but i found out that my country is not among the country that was listed there. i am from Nigeria

24. Chule Kalimashe - April 3, 2012 at 8:05 am

If we can receive the all these fruits of the Spirit, it will be almost impossible for us to sin. I am blessed.

25. Bishop.singham - March 24, 2012 at 9:27 pm

This is great simple yet very deep .Fruits of spirit coming directly from Holy spirit .That is why every christian must be baptized in holy spirit ,which would get him or her all the 9 fruits….thank you so very much for the insight…blessings