The 9 Fruits of the Holy Spirit

As you will see in the Scripture verse I will give you in this article – there is one very special incredible verse that will tell you that God the Father wants to transmit and impart 9 specific fruits of the Holy Spirit up into our personalities.

God wants all of us to enter into a true sanctification process with Him so that He can begin the process of molding, shaping, and transforming us into the express image of His Son Jesus Christ. He wants to make us into a better and more holy people. He wants to transform us by the renewing of our minds. He wants to put right thinking into our thought process.

In the “Sanctification,” I gave you the specific verses from Scripture that showed you that it is by the power of the Holy Spirit that this sanctification process is done with you in this life. However, you will not be a passive robot in all of this. You have to be willing to work in cooperation with the Holy Spirit once He begins to start this sanctification process within you.

Your job will be to get into the Word to find out exactly what it is God is going to want to change about you. You will need to find out exactly what godly qualities God will want you to try and “put on” into your personality, and what qualities He will want you to try and “put away.”

This article will be the first of a series of articles giving you all of the appropriate Scripture verses showing you exactly which qualities and attributes God will want to get worked into your personality, and which qualities He will want to pull out of you. And there is no better place to start this series of articles than with the 9 fruits of the Holy Spirit.

If you want to start off by keying on some of the more positive, godly qualities that God would really like to get worked into your personality – really study and meditate on these 9 specific qualities.

When God the Father purposely isolates and spells out 9 specific qualities that will be coming direct from His Holy Spirit – then He is really letting you know the extreme importance of these 9 specific fruits.

These 9 fruits are major fruits and qualities that are coming direct from God Himself – and every Christian should do the best they can to work with the Holy Spirit in getting all 9 of these fruits worked into their personality.

I will first start off by highlighting each of these 9 specific fruits so that you can have all 9 of them isolated right at the top of this article. I will then give you the Scripture verse where these 9 fruits are coming from, and then do a brief commentary on each one of these fruits so you can fully understand what each one of these fruits are all about, and how they can dramatically change the quality of your life and state of well-being if you are willing to allow the Holy Spirit to start to work all 9 of these fruits into your personality.

Here are the 9 fruits of the Holy Spirit listed one right after the other in a bolded, numbered format:

1. Love
  2. Joy
  3. Peace
  4. Longsuffering
  5. Kindness
  6. Goodness
  7. Faithfulness
  8. Gentleness
  9. Self-control

Now here is the specific verse from Scripture where these 9 fruits are being given to us by the Lord:

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.” (Galatians 5:22)

Before I get into the appropriate commentary on each of these nine fruits, note the following:

1. The word “Spirit” is with a capital “S” – which means these 9 fruits are coming directly from the Holy Spirit, not from ourselves.
  2. What this means is that God’s love, God’s peace, God’s joy, and God’s goodness can start to be transmitted up into our personality. These are His divine attributes and personality qualities that will start to move into the core of our personality.
  3. Think about the ramifications of this – that God the Father Himself is allowing us to share in a part of His divine nature by allowing His Holy Spirit to transmit and impart these nine divine qualities right up into our soul and personality!

This is why God the Father is specifically telling us in this verse that these 9 fruits are coming directly from His Holy Spirit – so that we can all fully appreciate the magnitude of such an experience.

Jesus has already told us that He is the vine and we are the branches. The branches draw their life from the vine, not vice versa. Just as the branch draws its life from the vine, so too must we draw our life directly from Jesus. Jesus will release His divine life directly into us through the Holy Spirit in the exact same way that the vine will release the life of the tree into the branches.

In one short, but incredible powerful Scripture verse, God the Father is giving all of us an incredible revelation on what can go on behind the scenes in the spiritual realm for those who are willing to work with Him in this sanctification process.

Now I will go on to describe what each one of these nine fruits are all about and give you definitions from some of the different Bible Dictionaries and Commentaries, thereby making it easier for you to work with the Holy Spirit once He starts to move in on you to try and impart some of these divine qualities and attributes into the core of your personality.

Table of Contents:
An Introduction to The 9 Fruits of the Holy Spirit
1. Love – 2. Joy – 3. Peace – 4. Longsuffering – 5. Kindness
6. Goodness – 7. Faithfulness – 8. Gentleness – 9. Self Control

Conclusion

All of the above definitions on each one of the 9 fruits of the Holy Spirit give you a perfect description of what each one of them are all about, and why God the Father really wants to work each one of these 9 fruits into our personalities.

As you can see when reviewing each one of them, they are all very powerful – and they not only have the ability to help change, transform, and sanctify you – but they also have the ability to touch all of those around you.

Nothing will draw nonbelievers and believers alike to the Lord than a truly sanctified saint in the Lord who is walking and operating in all 9 fruits of the Holy Spirit.

If you are willing to allow the Holy Spirit to work and transmit all 9 of these fruits up into your personality to some appreciable degree in this life – you will then become a light that will literally radiate the presence of God Himself through your soul and personality.

You have no idea how many people you will be able to save, touch, witness to, and help disciple if you have these fruits operating through you. These fruits will give you a credibility with God and with other people that no degree or title can give you in this life.

This sanctification process is the ultimate, highest aim and goal with God for our lives.

For those of you who are not afraid to let God begin this deeper sanctifying work in your life – keep these 9 fruits of the Holy Spirit directly in front of you.

And then work very closely with the Holy Spirit once He starts to manifest these fruits up into your personality.

These fruits will be coming directly from Him. They will be His love, His goodness, His joy, and His peace that will start to flow into you. But you will still have to do your part in all of this. Once these divine attributes start to be released into your personality by the Holy Spirit – your job will then be to start to walk and operate in them.

If the Holy Spirit starts to release His quality of love into your personality, but you start refusing to walk and operate in that love in your words and actions to others – then He will start to pull it back from you after a reasonable length of time.

If He starts to manifest His quality of self-control in you in an effort to try and take out some of the negative qualities that He will not want operating in your personality, and you refuse to rely on that self-control, and you override it and continue to operate in those negative qualities – then again, He will pull it back from you until you are ready to work in cooperation with Him.

This sanctification process is a two way street.

God is more than willing and anxious to do His part – but you will have to be willing to do your part. And your part will be to learn what changes God will want to make with you – and then start to live, walk, and operate in those specific changes once the Holy Spirit starts this supernatural, sanctification process within you.

This part God cannot do for you.

Jesus gave Peter the power and ability to be able to walk on water. But there was one thing Peter had to do before that supernatural power was released to him. He had to get out of the boat and start walking straight forward on that power.

It was only when he got out of the boat and started walking straight forward did the supernatural power of God manifest that allowed him to literally walk on water!

It’s the exact same way in this sanctification realm with the Lord. God, through the Holy Spirit, will give you the supernatural power to change, transform, and sanctify you – but you will have to be like Peter and be willing to live and walk in that supernatural power before it can really start to work to change and sanctify you.

Jesus is coming back for a Bride that will be without spot or blemish. He is calling His Church to clean up their act and allow His Holy Spirit to begin this deeper sanctifying work in their lives. However, the choice is up to each individual believer. Sanctification is not something that can be forced upon anyone. God really respects everyone’s free will and He will never force His will or His ways on anyone.

To those of you who will decide to enter into this sanctification process with the Lord – realize that all of this will not occur overnight. The Holy Spirit will set the pace and timetable that He will want to work with you on. You can perfectly trust Him to handle each of the areas that He will want to get into.

Though some of this may be a bit painful at times, since none of us likes to admit that we have anything that needs to be changed, let the Holy Spirit take you as far as He will want to go with you in this realm – and I guarantee you that your life and your state of well-being will all be changed for the better – much better!

Table of Contents:
An Introduction to The 9 Fruits of the Holy Spirit
1. Love – 2. Joy – 3. Peace – 4. Longsuffering – 5. Kindness
6. Goodness – 7. Faithfulness – 8. Gentleness – 9. Self Control

Comments

77 Responses to “The 9 Fruits of the Holy Spirit”

1. Layna - March 22, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I must confess that am really blessed and I am ever so thankful for this article and this website. it really helps me and encourages me to learn more about myself and who I really am. It is such an honor to be close to God. Being closer to God is something I will never have to regret, because He had been so good to us. Where wold we be without God? 🙂

2. Peace and Joy - March 21, 2012 at 8:28 am

This article is wonderful, but I just want to add that there is only one fruit which contains 8 seeds. Every fruits has seed or seeds, so therefore Love is the fruit that housed the 8 seeds.

3. Rose - March 9, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Thanks so much for your divine insight into the fruits of the Spirit. The article was so convicting and truly bear witness to the Spirit of Truth in me. Knowledge is power and in this case makes a better person to be used for God’s glory and the good of the Body of Christ. may God continue to bless you and use you to inspire, encourage educate people on the things that are important to God. You are making a difference!

4. MTL - March 9, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I really appreciate the article. One thing that I have learned is that I don’t need to be perfect while I’m on this journey. God has shown me that I need to continue to practice the fruits of the spirit each day. God bless and thank you for the encouragement.

God Bless!

5. Juan Carlos - February 22, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Thank you for your article. Your definition of each virtue is fantastic. One thing though I would like to call your attention to: It does not say “the Fruits of the Spirit are….”, in plural But “the fruit of the Spirit is…” , in singular. I think is one fruit with nine different ingredients, not nine fruits. I would think that love is joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, self-conrol. You cannot have one virtue without having the others. As Love is the fulfillment of the Law, love contains everything (Romans 13:8-10). Thank you very much, may God keep on blessing your wonderful ministry. Juan Carlos

6. simon - February 22, 2012 at 5:58 am

Thanks alot for the insights concerning the fruit of the Spirit.

I realize that santification comes as a manifestation of the fruit.The hard thing about is the application more so because one must be ready to be hurt.
    The good about it is that once it becomes applicable the result is felt and the advantage outweighs the pain.
    Love peace and joy manifests the life of one who is filled in the Holy Spirit,goodness kindness patience to a person who is led by the Spirit,self control gentleness and faithfulness to a Spirit controlled person.
    Perhaps the article inspires the readers to ask for the filling of the Spirit and the rest will follow.
    Be blessed for all this and more.
    SIMON W KARIUKI

7. rmp - February 8, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Also, one of the comments is absolutely correct. Each character has its own definition:

1. Joy = Gladness or The Regeneration of Man
    2. Peace = Serenity
    3. Long Suffering/Patience = Blessings
    4. Gentleness = Kindness
    5. Goodness = Benevolence
    6. Faith – Characteristic of Love
    7. Meekness = Humility
    8. Temperance = Self Control

8. rmp - February 8, 2012 at 11:27 pm

CORRECTION: There are not 9 fruits of the Spirit.

Galatians 5:22 says, But the “Fruit” (singular) of the Spirit is LOVE. There is ONE FRUIT; EIGHT CHARACTERS: Joy, Peace, Long suffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, Temperance.
    These 8 characters are inside of the fruit to cause you to produce. To be in better form or condition; to bring into existence again; favorable conditions; born again spiritually. All of this is in HIS WORD which is THE SEED or CHARACTER. The kingdom of God is supposed to be producing.

AGAPE!

9. Nate Mullen - February 4, 2012 at 11:22 am

Thanks for the time and effort put into this article. I have been trying to communicate that knowing someone by “their fruit” is not about their food (dietary) patterns, but something much deeper. Blessings to you!

10. Larry Davis - January 29, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Thank You for the very well presented most important necessities for the Christian heart. You are a wonderful extension of God’s Love! I have been a believer all my live, fighting the lukewarm existence all the way. It seems that every church I have ever attended is a blessing to mankind and they are wonderful. It does though puzzle me as to why when through His entire ministry on earth Jesus sought to win the hearts via his demonstration of healing that he taught to his disciples on purpose as to show us his way. I think that if the church was to go that one step further to boldly demonstrate the miracle healing Jesus gave us with the laying of hands Jesus powered healing, that we would be boldly displaying our faith like the father intended. Some churches are routinely performing his miracles and do so by the power of receiving the 9 fruits of the Holy Spirit that they claim anoints them by his grace the success they have with their practice. One that I have witnessed is The Grace Cathedral, OHIO. Your thoughts and teaching of the laying of hands Jesus style would be greatly appreciated please as we all are capable of ministering this faithful gift and should be performing as often as God wills. God Bless You and All your efforts. Thank You Larry Davis

11. Milita Das - January 19, 2012 at 2:19 am

I appriciate the article very much. I believe I need to work hard to bear the fruits of the Spirits. I am going to use this article to teach and help others to grow into the likeness of Christ. Thank you and God bless.

12. ella - January 18, 2012 at 3:24 pm

this is different set of the 9 fruits… Depends on the version of bible…(from KJV)
    1. love
    2. joy
    3. peace
    4. longsuffering
    5. gentleness
    6. goodness
    7. faith
    8. meekness
    9. temperance

God Bless.

13. sandra - January 15, 2012 at 3:23 pm

thank you for your post, I thought I was a christian for a lot of years, and had heard of the fruit of the spirit often, never truly understood it until after reading your posts. Things have been real tough for us for the past 3 years, always having to fight the tough fight, my faith has been challenged so often, I have always been able to hang on in there. today after reading my bible and had some confusion googled the question which eventually led me to your post on Fruits of the spirit, my eyes have been open, life starts to make more sense today. I pray that santification commences in my life and things become easier for me this year

14. Gina - January 11, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I enjoyed most of the article, however, I wish the section on gentleness was more gentle. The comment on “liberals” could be construed as “Christian tough love”, but I couldn’t get past the animosity I felt coming from how it was presented. No where in the fruits do I see this tendency for “us and them” that makes Christians seem downright unloving. I think your point could have been made without accusing a particular group of people. Blessings on your ministry.

• Mike Bradley - January 11, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I was simply pointing out the fact that some liberals are trying to make God gender neutral. I wanted to point out for men that Jesus was fully Man when He came down to our earth and that we need to pattern our walk after how He lived and acted while He was down here. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mike

15. Crystal - January 5, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Amen to Mike’s testimony! God is Able! And will deliver those in need. Thank you Jesus!

16. progress - January 4, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Excuse me, but there are times we should never exhibit “forebearance.” Refuse to tolerate abusive spouses, coworkers, family members, friends, elected officials or other acquaintances. We should not tolerate anything being done to us that is not kind, gentle, patient, loving, etc.
    Stand up and protest. Don’t be meek and just “take it.” If becoming “santified” means letting others take control of or abuse me or my children – forget it.

• loved by God - August 15, 2017 at 4:48 pm

jesus took all kinds of insults and injury. look at me i am meek and a lowly servant. He gives us patience to be able to endure. The greatest among you shall be your servant

17. Abiola - December 7, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I was preparing for sunday school and the topic is on “fruit of the sprit.”
    This article was the first one i clicked on and it really gave me all the ideas that i needed. Thank you, may the good lord continue to give u knowledge and understanding of his WORDS.

18. Mike - December 5, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Hello. I have been dealing with a lot of lust/passion issues. And after praying, and asking, and downright demanding that Jesus break me He did lastnight! I had always wondered or felt resentful when I heard people witnessing or talking about how “Jesus changed my life.” I could NEVER understand that and it made so little sense to me. I would rack my brain asking over and over, “How can Jesus change us when we have to choose to change?!” Well I will tell you the secret! It’s not that Jesus lives your life for you, but if you can be diligent and constantly talk with Him and even annoy Him to break you and change you then it WILL happen! When he changes your life, you suddenly become aware of EVERYTHING. Old things that were your usual forte instantly click in your head and say “this is what chained you down!” In the middle of Him breaking you down you have this heightened understanding of how things are operating beyond this “normal” life. The Holy Spirit crushed into me, and the closest thing I can tell you what it’s like is that you can’t control your body, to some extent…I could hardly get words out, and I couldn’t control if I cried or not. I don’t know if this happens everytime, but I started asking Jesus to break me daily, because I know my vices are very strong. So when I was researching on more ways to have the Holy Spirit put self control in me, I came across this article. I had read about the 9 fruits before. I imagine the Holy Spirit will work on what He thinks is best first. All I know is that after that encounter I was having a 2 hour conversation with Jesus. I would literally TRY to sin and get these bad images in my head, and I could not do it! So it IS possible to have the Holy Spirit block ANYTHING out of your life! I believe that the more we speak with Him and shout out our needs and desires (when it comes to growing in the spirit of course) the higher the chances of Him responding. Maybe this is not true, because I do know that He operates on His time, but it cannot possibly hurt to talk with God as much as possible. I don’t even care if people think Im crazy when I’m talking to thin air, lol. I wouldn’t do it on purpose, but the more we can start seeing Jesus/God as a manifested person or force that is all around us the better off we will be! Lastnight was my first night sleeping after this encounter and I had no temptations to indulge in the sin, so that’s what Im definitely aiming for! Thanks for reading and Godbless everyone. Merry Christmas!

• Emmanuel - August 5, 2017 at 11:54 pm

This is so amazing, am also praying to God for His encounter, I am at it already..thanks for shearing your experience with great teacher in person of Holy Spirit.

19. Marcia - November 27, 2011 at 8:31 am

I just gave my 18 year old daughter, Hannah, a “5 day challenge” of BEING KIND. Her friend, Alex, was in the room when I gave Hannah this challenge and Alex said that she wanted to take the challenge as well.

I am giving them an index card with some scriptures as an encouragement and reminder of this challenge. On this card, I printed out Eph. 4:32 (“… be ye kind one to another ….”) on one side, and on the flip side I wrote the fruits of the spirit. (Gal. 5:22). As I was looking up the reference for the fruits of the Spirit, I ran across your wonderful article. I am going to print it out and have them read it over the next 5 days. Thank you so much. It is a VERY powerful article. I believe it is God’s timing and provision that I ran across this article. God bless (whoever is the author) for being obedient in writing this article that is touching so many lives.

20. Sherrell - November 26, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I really thank God for this article. When I asked the Holy Spirit for his guidance, wisdom and answers in the good times as well during the tough times, He always seems to lead me in the right direction.This morning when I cried out to him in prayer, He gave me a sense of peace and somehow I was lead to this article. This article was excellent! and gave a deep explanation of the 9 fruits of the Holy Spirit like I have never heard it before. Thank You to whoever is responsible for this article. It is truly a blessing from God! I know God has a plan for my life and I am excited to become a blessing to others! God Bless you all!

21. Olubusola - November 18, 2011 at 8:08 am

I really thank God for the lives of those people that wrote this article, D Lord will continue to bless and empower u all and on d last day u will not be found wanting. I must confess that am really blessed cos i hav been wanting to read, understand and have the gifts of THE HOLY SPIRIT and this is just an avenue to know GOD the more and understand wat is expected of us as believers. Please as u are writing the articles dont forget to pray for everyone reading it that d Lord will empower us and give us the grace to walk with HIM. Thanks and God bless.

22. naphy - November 15, 2011 at 7:05 am

i thank God for allowing me to see this wonderful message this morning as im in class right now i was asking God to bless me with the 9 fruits of the Spirit and i decided to look it up God bless you !!

23. Lisa - November 10, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Thank you for this wonderfully divine message of grace. I have been receiving the 9 fruits for a few years now, and am transformed 🙂 I am, perhaps, almost, Sanctified? 😀 Can it be true? Many lovely blessings to you and all who open to this powerful truth. Thank you.

24. paul - November 5, 2011 at 5:08 am

Am glad and appreciates for the good article, it has really touched my heart God bless you for the good work you are doing.
    thank you.

25. Paul - October 24, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Hey, thank you for this amazing article, God bless you in what you are doing! I enjoyed reading it and was praying for God to help me with these nine fruits from the Holy Spirit. Continue in what your doing! 🙂 God BLESS!