Are The 10 Commandments Still Important For Today?

If you only want to see a list of the 10 commandments and not read our article, then Click Here

I thought I would draw up this article for all of you in order to give you a complete list of the 10 commandments. Most Christians do not have all of them memorized.

I will give you the specific verse from Scripture where the 10 commandments are being given to us by the Lord, along with some of the additional statements that God makes under some of these commandments that you usually do not see on the little tablets of the 10 commandments at your local Christian bookstore.

Before I give you this verse, consider one thing. Even though the 10 Commandments are from the Old Testament, all of these commandments still apply to everyone in this day and age.

No exceptions! I call each of these commands “stone commandments.”

The fact that God the Father would manifest 10 specific commandments on a tablet of stone tells me that He is very serious about these specific commandments!

This was one big huge event when it happened in the story of Moses. The fact that God would go this far in manifesting these special 10 commandments on a real live tablet of stone tells me that these commandments should never be taken lightly or for granted.

Most Christians have heard about these Ten Commandments while going through grade school and high school and the story as to how they all came about. As a result, I feel that many Christians take these special  commandments for granted and really do not realize the power and authority that is on these special commandments.

The 10 commandments come to us from Exodus 20:1-17. Here is the verse:

1 –  And God spoke all these words, saying: “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me.

2-  You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them.

For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

3 – You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

4 – Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates.

For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

5 – Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

6 – You shall not murder.

7 – You shall not commit adultery.

8 – You shall not steal.

9 -You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

10 – You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

The above 10 commandments don’t need any explanation. They mean exactly what they are saying. It’s quite amazing how many of these commandments are being broken on a regular basis, even by Christians themselves.

If you look very closely at each of these commandments, they really do cover a broad spectrum as to what God is expecting from each one of us.

These 10 commandments are good, basic, moral laws that will help keep us out of trouble with ourselves, family, friends, and neighbors. God knows what is best for all of us and He simply wants all of us to stay out of trouble in order that we may be able to live in peace and harmony with one another.

The fact that God would go so far as to have these basic 10 commandments manifested on a stone tablet really tells me they are very important, and that each Christian should know what they are and do their best to abide by them with the help of the Holy Spirit.

Feel free to pass this list of the 10 commandments onto your friends and family.

Comments

397 Responses to “Are The 10 Commandments Still Important For Today?”

1. Eugene - June 6, 2012 at 10:05 am

Egypt is a picture of sin and the Israelites a picture of sinners. While the sinner is in bondage to sin, satan is the lord of his life but as the sinner is freed from the bondage of sin through the blood of the Lamb (anti-type of the lamb during the Passover in Egypt), he should make God the Lord of his life and he should have no other gods (1st Commandment). He should leave the ways of Egypt (sinful life) and align his thoughts with God’s. The rest of the Ten Commandments further helps correct his attitude towards God and towards his fellow men. (Matt 22:37-40)

God bless!!!

2. Eugene - June 6, 2012 at 9:40 am

Hi again,

Just a follow-through in differentiating the 1st from the 2nd Commandment:

“On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn – both men and animals – and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the LORD.” (Ex 12:12)

This passage and even history tells us that the Egyptians had many gods. So, when God passed through Egypt, He brought judgment… God’s series of judgment (plagues) displayed who the LORD is. Egypt’s magicians and all the gods of Egypt are powerless to reverse God’s judgments. And later, after the Israelites left Egypt and reached Mt Sinai, God then emphasized, “I am the Lord your God… You shall have no other gods before me.” (1st Commandment)

While Moses have gone up the mountain, the Israelites thought that they could follow their own or others’ ideas concerning God. Man thinks it okay to worship a representation of God. Many people nowadays are deceived to think that it is God whom they worship and adore or they will merit favor with God when they bow down before images and statues. This is satan’s lie to get people away from God… allow people to agree that there is only One True God but deceive them to bow to representations (or the one god called by another name). And so, God is telling us (and the Israelites) not to create graven images or likenesses… and not bow down to them nor serve them! (2nd Commandment)

The Egyptians worshipped deity under animal forms and kept animals in some of their temples. They also had statues and illustrations of them. So the calf worship in Ex 32:6 shows that some of the Israelites picked up this way of worshipping while slaves of the Egyptians and mostly likely had even worshipped with them or as they did. The calf worship, which involved drinking and nakedness (Ex 32:25), may have turned into a drunken sex orgy and this is not uncommon in pagan worship. This calf idol may have been inspired by Apis, the sacred bull of Egypt who ensured fertility. In addition to this, when the Egyptians worship their fertility gods, this was often accompanied with lascivious dances and other obscene practices. Let us remember that the Israelites were exposed to this environment for more than 400 years – think how this would affect one’s character.

Egypt corrupted the Israelites attitude towards God (destroyed Israel’s relationship with their God and corrupted their concept of the Almighty God) as well as their attitude towards their fellow men – no wonder why the Ten Commandments.

Skipping to Commandment 10 – this talks about ‘not coveting your neighbor’s possessions’ which in my own words is ‘not to desire another person’s possessions with evil motivation’. The word ‘covet’ was used in Micah 2:2, “They covet fields and seize them, and houses, and take them…” Coveting takes place in the heart (or mind) while theft and adultery are actions. After God enumerates the ‘not’ actions, God concludes that a person’s attitude and motives are as important as his actions. God judges us not just by what we do but also by what we really want to do – God knows the motives and intentions of our heart! (Compare Ex 20:13 with Matt 5:21-22 and Ex 20:14 with Matt 5:27-28)

May God be praised!

3. James Hale - June 5, 2012 at 9:41 am

You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments……. doesn't that mean just about every church and home is doing it wrong…

4. Eugene - June 4, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Hi Teresa,

Very interesting question… allow me to add my thoughts to what Rams has explained.

Remember that when the Ten Commandments were given, the Israelites were in Mt Sinai, which is not very long after they left Egypt. Interestingly, Mt Sinai is the same place where God appeared to Moses in a burning bush and gave Moses instructions to go to Pharoah and bring the Israelites out of Egypt. Notice what God tells Moses in Ex 4:11, “…When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain.”

Let us remember that the God who gave Moses instructions, He is the Almighty God! Why the plagues when God could have so easily destroyed the Egyptians? And why several plagues when killing the firstborn could just easily make Pharoah release the Israelites? What was in Egypt why God wanted to take them out of it when God brought them there in the first place? God could easily have made the Israelites take over authority in Egypt.

Anyway, while the Israelites were oppressed and enslaved in Egypt for more than 400 years (Ex 12:40-41), they also saw how the Egyptians worshipped many gods. Instead of worshipping the Creator, the Egyptians worshipped the creation, such as the Nile River, the sun, moon, animals and even Pharoah (Rom 1:25) and they have images of these gods they worship.

“…Then I will lay my hand on Egypt and with mighty acts of judgment I will bring out my divisions, my people the Israelites. And the Egyptians will know that I am the Lord when I stretch out my hand against Egypt and bring the Israelites out of it. (Ex 7:4-5)

“But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” (Ex 9:16)

Each of the plagues was actually an attack on the Egyptians’ gods e.g. the Egyptians worshipped the Nile River and God turned its water into blood; the Egyptians also worshipped the sun and God caused three days of total darkness, etc. Through the plagues that God brought down in Egypt, God showed that HE alone is God!

God displayed His mighty power: (1st) to impress to the new generation Israelites (God’s people) that He was their God and (2nd) to reveal to all nations (including the Egyptians) the He alone was the true and living God and there is no other! (1st Commandment)

So after the Israelites were delivered from bondage in Egypt, they are to worship God! We have seen that throughout history, man always have an instinct to worship but the problem was the object of worship. While Moses was on the top of Mt Sinai when God the Almighty gave Moses the Ten Commandments and other instructions (there were more instructions but not written in tablet of stones), the Israelites already went back to the ways of Egypt. In Ex 32:1, the Israelites wanted to have a physical representation of God. Further in verse 8 it says, “…These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.” We know that God has displayed His power to the Israelites but it seems that they really don’t know who He is such that they made a golden calf to represent the Almighty God who brought them out of Egypt and this was a big mistake!

“God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.” (John 4:24)

The Israelites thought that they could represent God with something they build since this is also what they have seen in Egypt. The truth is that we cannot contain God to an image or an object. Any representation of God will always fall short of who God really is. We cannot replace and reduce God with an image or a thing. And we definitely cannot bow down to any representation that we think is God Almighty. (2nd Commandment)

Even a wrong concept of God is dangerous… it may eventually lead to idolatry… We cannot box God in our minds and start worshipping that god that we think who God should be. It is really important for us Christians to know how God revealed Himself in the Scriptures.

Some thoughts from my end…

To God be the glory!

5. Rams - June 3, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Hello Teresa,

A great question, let me give it a try, others may have a different take on this so I hope they share their understanding as well:

In no. 1 YHVH says we shall not have no other god’s before him, note how that takes no mention to IMAGES as seen in no.2. This tells me YHVH is talking about two distinct things, 1) belief in Him without physically seeing, versus 2) belief in Him through seeing an Image, something that in essence leads to everything but Him for man has never seen Him. In no 1 he tells us to believe in Faith and in no. 2 He warns us not to test that faith. Remember, man has and cannot ever see Him physically. Let me expand:

In those days it was easier for many to believe in no1 for then He had shown His power… when the commandments where handed to Israel they had actually seen His power but eventually that would change and YHVH knew that, and the reason for the second commandment. If and when they would not follow this commandment they failed, for in making an image of an unseen God surely meant making a false god… YHVH knew this too for in time that power would not be manifested anymore… (in my opinion that faith could be strengthened). In other words, if making IMAGES man’s perception of believing blindly (having Faith) would then be damaged.

I see these as two different things for His reality is what it is and man’s perception of that reality is what it is. In no 1 He says not to have other god’s before Him and no2: He warns us to not make IMAGES of anything including anything in Heaven before Him. Fact is many back then and through to modernity still look for a physical representation of Him. I think this is why these two are separate.

His reality was (believable) to many (i.e. Moshe’s Israel) but what is clear in scripture is that when Israel began to not listen to the second commandment, their faith in the the Creator would wean and even disappear (archeology has proven that many images were in fact associated with the belief in YHVH) that eventually faith in the unseen Creator would be replaced by man’s perception of that Creator (a false belief)… So number one tells me YHVH is speaking of faith in Him versus no2 which is warning me to not define Him by trying to create an image of Him. He tells us no man will or ever has seen Him.

In the past present and future tense of the word, the Hebrew Tetragrammaton YHVH (our universal Creator) means several things that really mean one thing… (I was) ( Iam) and (I will be), and can generally can be understood as (I am He who has and will do as I say) in other words “He Is What He Has and Will Say. (The Word)” In scripture He teaches us that everything He said He would do He did and therefore we can believe that what He says he will do… that His Word is Truth. Again, in no.1 one we are called to believe in His Truth sight unseen, where in no2 we are called not to make up that truth with our truth.

The concept of false god’s are associated with IMAGES of falseness and not truthfulness (they are called non-living or false god’s in scripture)… men / women that required to see God that took to making Images proved to eventually begin believing in that physical manifestation (that of falseness i.e.: Adma/Eve) and not His Spiritual manifestation – (True belief not made up belief). The days of Noah and beyond a good example of us not paying head to the second commandment, believing in the physical though we believed in the non-physical?… in short we would put into question our Creator over us creating false god’s…. Again, YHVH calls man to be faithful in Him (without seeing), and 2) YHVH calls man to not fall to our rendition of Him, the physical, as in the worthless or non living images that lead to nothing more than the destruction of the temple (so too the temple in Jerusalem), see the correlation?.

In scripture we see many accounts of people that followed the first commandment but did not follow the second… this in the case of all kings except David (reference god’s). Even those kings that had faith in YHVH as the the creator of all are seen falling away from Him for allowing others and eventually themselves to not obey the second commandment (In the case of Solomon and others). The only time Israel does well is when they burn the images and turn away from the baals (lords)…. Mind you, they believed in the God of Abraham, (no1) but created images (no2).

These first two commandments to me are similar but very much independent one deals with belief in Him and the other deals with how to keep that belief in Him. We must first believe in something and then act to keep that belief is the point I think. Hopefully we all put aside our selves in that process, me included off course.

Today more than ever our faiths are tested through our interaction with worldly matters (in my opinion god’s we create in place of Him (no2) regardless that we say we believe (no1)). In those days YHVH’s referred to actual images, today I think it refers to the same only most of the time the images are in the form of worldly things put in place of Him. Sadly so.

That is the best I can put it, maybe someone else wants to take a stab at this :o) Shalom and thanks for the question sister.

6. paul - May 31, 2012 at 3:38 am

A.S.
    Gold was and is primarly a monatry and wealth indicator,as stone is rock that could not be totaly destroid.platinum is not found in the desert of sinie,The commandments where
    writern by the finger of GOD.
    Noel,
    If you seek Jesus,you will find him anywear,if you truly do believ him to be the way to GOD.
    May GOD bless all of You who seek him.

7. Noel - May 30, 2012 at 3:44 am

In John 20 15 the Bible says Sunday Morning Mary went looking for Jesus and saw a man he taught to be a Gardener so she went to ask him if he had seen Jesus. A good place to look for Jesus on Sunday Mornings the first day of the week is in the Garden not CHURCH.

8. George - May 27, 2012 at 3:05 am

To All:

It has been revealed to me that I called God a liar when I said:

“I do not know which is the greatest or least of the 10 commandments nor do I care for none of them are the greatest commandment of all.”

Who am I to tell God and you that I do not place the same importance on each of His commandments as He does?

I confess my sin to the whole world. I retract this statement and ask for forgivness and mercy from God.

Also to everyone, I sinned against you when I said “because little regard is given to what is actually in the Bible.” Please forgeive me so you will be forgiven. I know you place as much importance on the Bible as I do.

I stand by what I am saying.

Satan and his devils are crafty as you can see. Be careful. Without God we will all be lost. Please ask God to reveal your sins so you can confess them and ask for forgivenss as I do. If you believe, He will.

To everyone who believes Jesus Christ is God, take heart. You have the Holy Spirit within you.

Ephesians 1:13-14 In whom you also trusted, after that you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that you believed, you were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,which is an earnest of our inheritance, unto the redemption of God’s own possession, unto the praise. of his glory. John 7:38 John 7:39

Trust God and His Word – Seek His Word Like Silver

I leave you in peace

9. George - May 26, 2012 at 9:56 pm

For Steve and Rams

Ok, assuming the reader knows the gospel of Mark and the most important commandment taught by Jesus, the first commandment of Thou shalt have no other gods before me is not among the sixty-seven occurrences of the word abomination in the Bible. Murder and graven images is an abomination to God if you did not know. So what is the reasoning for teaching the 1st commandment is the most important? Even in context, it is not true.

If you give a basis for someone to form an opinion, which she clearly does, you are teaching.

I stand by what I said.

I am unsubscribing to this thread because little regard is given to what is actually in the Bible.

10. Rams - May 26, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Wow… unbelievable.

I need not tell you but I will, you are spiritually and scripturally cool in my book Pricilla… in time I have grown to respect your knowledge and faith a great deal, continued blessings dear Sister… I am sorry you had to contend with that.

11. Steve - May 26, 2012 at 7:22 am

For George,

You seem to be warning others a lot of other people who do not think as you do. Interesting…

As for Pricilla “teaching” others: she has mentioned many times that she is only sharing her views. Whoever wants to take her up on it, it is their problem. Though, all the people on this blog seem to know to check out what is shared, and I don’t think anyone would blindly accept anyone else’s ideas without checking them first. So, I’d say that she is NOT teaching anyone.

I see you are coming back to what Pricilla said regarding the 1st commandment. I had to check it out. You should quote others in context and not out of context. If you read what Peter said, you would have understood her answer.

You should maybe read the Bible a few times more, before you pass judgement on others and before you start warning people of those that do not think like you.

12. George - May 26, 2012 at 6:13 am

Hi Lydia

It is good of you to defend your friend.

Who else might believe Pricilla because of what she thinks and not know the truth because they do not know their Bible regardless of testing? If anyone believes what she writes it is teaching whether or not she believes she is teaching or not. Do parents test their children about Santa Claus? Do they believe until the truth is made known? I will point out:

Pricilla wrote:

I would think that the FIRST commandment is the MOST IMPORTANT commandment, since God wrote it first also.

Mark wrote:

If anyone believes the 1st commandment is the most important because they agree with her that it was written first, she has taught. That is also what Jim_M taught with another purpose in mind. What if that lead to someone believing Jim_M because Jim_M and Pricilla agreed the first command was the most important and now they believe there is no trinity?

I did not mean to call her a liar, but to warn others. You are right of course, but who is she calling a liar with her “I think” even if that is not what she meant? That is why James 3:1 is in the Bible. I stand by what I said.

Pricilla has read the Bible 10 times and I have read it once and the gospel twice because August 2011 is when God called me back to the fold. Do you think I know all of the verses I quote? If you gave me a written test on the Bible about verses, I would fail.

I hope you can see the truth in this.

God bless you Lydia

All glory be to God our Father in Heaven

13. Lydia - May 26, 2012 at 4:22 am

George,

I don’t think Pricilla is “teaching” anybody because she is not testing anyone on her views after giving them.

She SHARED her views and, from what I saw, she also backed them up with references – and you can agree or disagree with her – or anybody else. That’s your PREROGATIVE.

She, and maybe others, don’t agree with YOU on some things, but she and others didn’t call you a liar as you have called Pricilla (“Your teachings are NOT TRUTHFUL.” In my dictionary, “not truthful” means “lies”.)

Not agreeing with somebody, does not make that somebody a liar.

14. George - May 26, 2012 at 3:34 am

I know enough about Lydia.

“As for Jesus “bearing the sins of others”: That is what Christianity is all about and if you don’t believe that, than of course you are NOT a Christian.”

I know of you. Your teachings are not truthful.

James 3:1 My brothers, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.

And now I will go in peace for others also know of you and you cannot say you have not been told the truth on judgment day.

15. George - May 25, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Take heart Pricilla, I am not saying that you are doomed. If you believe I have sinned against you, please forgive me for your own sake and pray for me. Matthew 6:14 For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

(Proverbs 2:1-5) My son, if you receive my words
    and treasure up my commandments with you,
    making your ear attentive to wisdom
    and inclining your heart to understanding;
    yes, if you call out for insight
    and raise your voice for understanding,
    if you seek it like silver
    and search for it as for hidden treasures,
    then you will understand the fear of the Lord
    and find the knowledge of God.

I do ask for insight and raise my voice for understanding.

I want to help you in any way I can to serve you because Jesus Christ served for both of us but only God can save us. If you say we are finished then we are finished. I will not be a stumbling block if you believe you are serving God as He intends you to. Just be certain of what you teach for some will read your words and believe what you say even if you say it is your opinion.

As a rhetorical question, I will ask if you believe God allows men to teach falsely by interpretation, why do you do believe God will not allow these interpretations to be written? God gave men free will to do as they please (resist the will of God) and there are those who will not seek it from God like silver. Romans 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

After my last message to you, I myself was reminded I do not always working out my own salvation with fear and trembling. Philippians 2:12

I will never judge you Pricilla because I do not want to be judged.

Matthew 7:1 Judge not, that you be not judged. Matthew 7:2 For with what judgment you judge, you shall be judged: and with what measure you mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Peace be with you

Seek it like silver Pricilla

All glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or

16. KH - May 25, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Yes but what is this same message, Eugene ? The empty tomb ? No, that message is the first Commandment – “You shall have no other gods before me”.

No, Jim, that is NOT the single prevailing message of the Bible. The single prevailing message of the Bible is that God is willing to forgive you of your trespasses against him (called sin in the Bible) and bring you home to a perfect relationship with Him. That is why Jesus went to the cross to repair our relationship to Himself, both God the Father and Himself. THAT is the prevailing message of the Bible.

“George, in the Quran, God ask those (including Muslims) to question everything in the Quran…And if you are REALLY seeking the Creator’s Truth, then you will recognize the truth when you see it, even if it does not come from your own faith.”

The problem with that, Jim, is that is NOT “the truth” or “a truth”. The Quran doesn’t have the truth.

17. George - May 25, 2012 at 4:11 pm

After reading what wrote, I realize I misspoke – I did not mean to say weak in spirit, but in faith as the Bible says.

I am sorry.

18. George - May 25, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Pricilla

I only ask you to seek the truth from God. For

You do teach it:

Pricilla says:
    April 27, 2012 at 6:55 am
    1. commandment” – your words).
    I studied some more today and I came upon these verses, which do make me think it was especially for the Jews: Ex. 31:16-17 The ISRAELITES are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting COVENANT. It will be a SIGN between ME (God) and the ISRAELITES for ever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he RESTED and was REFRESHED.

I don’t mind adopting a day of REST so that I can be REFRESHED also for the week to come – and that goes for believers in God and also non-believers. We physically NEED the rest once a week so we can replenish our strength and go back into the world the following week.

On the other hand, Chrisitians who “keep” the Sabbath would make us believe that it should be a SPECIAL day of WORSHIP – which it was not meant to be – not for non-Jews, anyway.

And you spread teachings that are not in the Bible:

Pricilla says:
    April 27, 2012 at 12:04 am
    Peter,

Do you believe this is pleasing to God?

I am not judging you for your own words speak the truth:

Pricilla says:

May 14, 2012 at 10:23 am

… And since it is a parable, I just don’t know what he meant by it.

You know what the Bible says about those who do not understand the parables don’t you?

What you said is not exchanging views and ideas. You closed the door on the discussion. This is my FINAL comment on the subject unless, in the future, I am convicted otherwise by the Holy Spirit.

I was only respecting your wishes.

You ask:

But who are you to judge me and my spirit? – How have I judged you by sharing Gods word with you? Romans 14:1 is God’s inspired words if you believe what you say about the Bible. They are not my words or opinion just as what the Bible says about the parables is not my words or opinion. And they are to be read with Romans 14:4-6 that you quoted.

God loves you Pricilla. You do not have to believe anything I am telling you. I only ask you say these prayers as I do for they are based on the Bible’s teachings:

Daily

In Jesus Christ name, I ask that Jesus Christ guide me to the God the Father for He is the way the life and the truth and there is no other way to the God Father except through him. Please give me the grace and the understanding to do God the Father’s will. Matthew 7:21

On the Sabbath and whenever God moves you too:

‘O God, be merciful to me, the sinner that I am (Luke 18:13)

I also pray the way Jesus taught us how to pray many times a day. Matthew 6:9

Lydia rebuked Jim_M after she read God’s word that I shared and she saw the truth which is God’s word. I am not boasting of myself for I have done nothing for I only boast of the Lord.

I am here to serve you Pricilla and others like Eugene and Lydia by sharing the truth of God’s word.

19. Pricilla - May 25, 2012 at 2:32 pm

George,

What have I done to YOU that you judge and attack me? We were only exchanging views and ideas, remember?

You hold on to your view – I have nothing against that nor have I told you that you were wrong or that you have to believe what I believe. I just SHARED with you my views. So you don’t agree with me. Fine. But who are you to judge me and my spirit?

The Bible – God’s Word – IS my guide and whatever I believe comes from God’s Word. I think that would mean that I “trust God” – as you advised me.

Matthew 7:1-2
    Luke 6:37
    1 Corinthians 4:3-4

Wishing you all the best.

20. George - May 25, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Romans 14:1 You are weak in spirit and I will respect your wish. In the future I suggest instead of research you trust God.

21. Pricilla - May 25, 2012 at 3:21 am

Hi George!
    Further to my above comment:

Romans 14

5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them SHOULD BE FULLY CONVINCED IN THEIR OWN MIND.
    6 Whoever regards one day as special, DOES SO TO THE LORD (in another translation: OBSERVES IT IN HONOR OF THE LORD).

17 For the KINGDOM OF GOD IS…of RIGHTEOUSNESS, PEACE AND JOY IN THE HOLY SPIRIT,
    18 because ANYONE WHO SERVES CHRIST IN THIS WAY IS PLEASING TO GOD AND RECEIVES HUMAN APPROVAL.
    19 LET US therefore MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO DO WHAT LEADS TO PEACE and to mutual edification.

22 So WHATEVER YOU BELIEVE ABOUT THESE THINGS (in other translations: THE FAITH THAT YOU HAVE) KEEP BETWEEN YOURSELF AND GOD. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves.

23 …EVERYTHING THAT DOES NOT COME FROM FAITH IS SIN.

My emphasis is on the 5th and 23rd verse.

PEACE! SHALOM!

22. Pricilla - May 25, 2012 at 12:31 am

Hi George,

I said previously that we are here to exchange ideas and views.

As you have probably read in my previous comment, I explained that the conclusions were my PERSONAL conclusions, which I believe with all my heart are right conclusions.

Matthew 5:19 I am not trying to “teach” or convince anyone else to think as I do. I respect the conclusions others have come to and are living those conclusions by THEIR FAITH.

Maybe down the road, the Holy Spirit will show me differently – but for now this is what I see regarding the subject of the Sabbath commandment. (Mark 3:4 Of course I think you should do good and help others in need on Sabbath – but that is not the kind “work” that should not be done which is meant in the commandment).

To God be all the glory!!

23. George - May 24, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Hi Pricilla,

It is good that we can discuss. With regard to Romans 14:4-6, Romans 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive you, but not to doubtful disputations. If your faith was weak, I would not have discussed this with you at all. I am not here to convert or judge you.

I judge or condemn no one: Romans 14:4 Who are you that judge another man’s servant? to his own master he stands or falls. Yes, he shall be held up: for God is able to make him stand. James 4:12 One only is the lawgiver and judge, even he who is able to save and to destroy: but who art thou that judgest thy neighbor? – Romans 3:23 For all fall short to the glory of God

and

Matthew 5:19 Whoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

I am not a Seventh Day Adventist nor do I believe what they teach. I do not know which is the greatest or least of the 10 commandments nor do I care for none of them are the greatest commandment of all. I will keep all of God’s commandments the best I can with the grace given to me. John 14:15 If you love me, keep my commandments.

The greatest commandment is Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: Deuteronomy 6:5 And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might.

This is what Christ taught as well: Mark 12:28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? Mark 12:29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: Mark 12:30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength: this is the first commandment.

Deuteronomy 6:4 Deuteronomy 6:5 was not on the STONE 10 Commandments but it is the greatest commandment of all and it was for Israel. Now it is for all and it addresses all 10 commandments and His other teachings for all must love God more than themselves and obey His words. Romans 14:8

In ACTS, the Apostles wrote about keeping the Sabbath 85 times (I looked it up). Jesus Christ sent them to teach. John 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be to you: as my Father has sent me, even so send I you.

Jesus Christ said Mark 3:4 “And he said to them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.” Jesus was teaching the meaning of the Sabbath is much more than a day of rest just as He taught the seventh commandment was more in Matthew 5:28 But I say to you, That whoever looks on a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Jesus Christ is the Lord of the sabbath. Matthew 12:8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day. Mark 2:28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath. Luke 6:5 And he said to them, That the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by me. My own church teaches not to keep the Sabbath but Sunday. I will keep the Lord of the Sabbath day. Matthew 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

You are right – you do not have to have a convocation for everything is possible for God. Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the middle of them.

Do not let your experience with the Seventh Day Adventist demish your understanding God’s commandments or what God wants from you. Psalms 112:1 Praise the LORD! Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, Who delights greatly in His commandments. Luke 11:28 He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.

May God be gracious to you and bless you

Praise our Lord our God who is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God!

24. Pricilla - May 24, 2012 at 3:43 am

Hi George,

There is nothing to forgive. We are discussing and giving our views and understanding on this blog.

I know about Leviticus 23. And I compared it with the 10 Commandments, where they appear in Exodus 20:3-17 and Deuteronomy 5:6-21.

I still claim that in the STONE 10 Commandments, it says nothing about meetings on Sabbath. It is a general commandment for REST – and God made it holy just for that purpose, so that our bodies can rest from ALL work. REST on Sabbath is from the Creation in Genesis – for the whole humanity and everything that has breath in them (like WORKING animals which also need rest).

Also, let’s not get confused. In OT days they did not have SYNAGOGUES or meeting places in their cities. Children of Israel were allowed to worship ONLY where God would put His Name, i.e. wherever the Tabernacle was (until it got its permanent home in the Temple) – see whole chapter Deut. 12.

They had the TEMPLE in Jerusalem and the HIGH PLACES in other places when they worshipped other gods. So, they did not meet in groups as they do now, or as the church does now. And because of the distances, they could not have gone every Sabbath to Jerusalem – they went only on the 3 main holy festivals.

Synagogues came into existence when the Jews were in the Babylonian exile so they could somehow stay together as a people and not get assimilated (not like the 10 Northern tribes). When they returned to Israel, they continued with the synagogue meetings – even though both in the exile and when they returned to Israel, the “synagogues” were not according to God’s commands.

About Leviticus 23:1-2 “And the LORD spoke unto Moses, saying, SPEAK UNTO THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL, and say unto them, concerning the FEASTS of the LORD, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my feasts.”
    After that, the whole chapter talks about the Sabbath and the Feasts that should have a holy convocation.

1. For Sabbath’s convocation you have to compare Lev. 23-3 and Numbers 28:9-10. Obviously they could not make it to the Temple each Sabbath and they could not sacrifice anywhere else BUT at the Temple. So, in my understanding, this “convocation” on Sabbath would be only for the JEWS who did succeed in making it on any given Sabbath to the Temple FOR THE PURPOSE OF SACRIFICING. Also, the laws for sacrificing on Sabbath were made for the Sabbath CONVOCATION – NO SACRIFICE, NO CONVOCATION ON SABBATH.
    In the STONE commandment you have nothing on sacrificing on Sabbath, as you don’t have anything on “convocation” on Sabbath – only REST from ALL work.

2. The second thing is that, as you see in Lev. 23:2, God is giving these commands for the Sabbath and other feasts to the CHILDREN OF ISRAEL, SPECIFICALLY (in addition to the STONE Sabbath commandment), as they also demand animal sacrifice. Otherwise, why aren’t non-Jews keeping the “CONVOCATIONS” on the Jewish Passover, Feast of the Weeks and Feast of the Tabernacles – as is demanded (with all the sacrficies) in this chapter?

On the other hand, the children of Israel DID KEEP the Sabbath holy (and rested) in their homes, with their families and maybe relatives – and probably did read the Bible together or discussed passages, as it says in Deuteronomy 11:18-20 (KJV): “Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes. And YE SHALL TEACH THEM TO YOUR CHILDREN, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.”

So, to sum it up, it is my PERSONAL understanding that the STONE Sabbath commandment is for REST and not “convocation” – and the world can meet to worship God on any given day of the week as long as we are fully convinced in our own mind that what we are doing is for the Lord.

Romans 14:4-6: “Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand. One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. WHOEVER REGARDS ONE DAY AS SPECIAL DOES SO TO THE LORD…”

This is ONLY my view and understanding on the Sabbath Rest and Sabbath meetings after I have studied it extensively (especially since my best friend became a Seventh Day Adventist and had me convinced for a while that they are on the right track. Only because they made SUCH A BIG DEAL of the Sabbath commandment [WORSHIP-WISE] – and pushed aside all the other commandments – I got a bit suspicious and started studying the subject in depth, and I reached the above conclusions only after extensive in-depth study of the Sabbath laws.)

May God bless you richly.

25. George - May 23, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Hi Pricilla,

I believe the verse I quote is from the Bible you are using. I checked it with the Psalm 1:1-2 verbage you quoted – thank you for the verse.

Leviticus 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

I do not know if attending a convocation is possible for you. If this is in your Bible, I wanted you to know the truth. If not forgive me, I do not mean to challenge your belief because we both love, worship and serve the same God.

God bless you

Praise ye the LORD. Praise, O ye servants of the LORD, praise the name of the LORD.